Does priming sugar dry a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkuttack

Reaction score
I bottle all my beers because I brew a lot and i like a variety without having to buy a bunch of kegs and a fridge.
I always add 4 oz corn sugar as priming sugar no matter what the style.
I have noticed that over time the flavor profile changes almost drying out the beer more.
I'm wondering if the priming sugar jump starts the yeast enough to consume wort sugars as well, resulting in a drier beer.
maybe i should consider adding less priming sugar to keep it tasting more balanced?

By the time you bottle, all fermentable sugars are consumed. That's the reason you have to add sugar.

Are you brewing extract or all grain?

all grain. i know the beer needs time to mature and that of course changes the flavor profile. i just feel maybe its a bit to much priming sugar. not sure

BYO's website has really good resources on amounts and types of priming sugar per style. I've never found that the priming sugar has had much effect on the flavour or body. I used DME to prime for a while and found no difference except mini-krausen rings in my bottles so I'm back to corn sugar.

sharkuttack said:
all grain. i know the beer needs time to mature and that of course changes the flavor profile. i just feel maybe its a bit to much priming sugar. not sure

Your mash temp determines how dry a beer is. Mashing around 150 results ina drier beer, closer to 160: fuller beer.

A low final gravity results in a drier beer. When you add sugar, it raises the gravity a bit. The yeast convert this sugar. There is no other fermentable sugar in the bottle than what you added, so no, it doesn't dry out the beer.

i recently had a stone ipa on tap at a pub. then in the bottle. there is an obvious difference in flavor. i am starting to think theres more of an art to bottling than just dumping in sugar.

sharkuttack said:
i recently had a stone ipa on tap at a pub. then in the bottle. there is an obvious difference in flavor. i am starting to think theres more of an art to bottling than just dumping in sugar.

Carbonation levels can affect the perception of flavor. Chances are, beer in the bottle and beer on tap are carbonated at different levels, unintentionally.

It's the distributers job to take care of the kegs, taps and lines, not the restaurants. How much care do you think they put into it? They're making a profit from selling the beer, not making it.

windbreaker123 said:
Most beer taste different on tap than out of a can or bottle.

That's why I never get draft beer. Bottled is way more consistent, and I tend to think bottled beer tastes the way the brewer intended.

That's why I never get draft beer. Bottled is way more consistent, and I tend to think bottled beer tastes the way the brewer intended.

good point, so that kinda answers my original question. if carbonation level can effect flavor to the point of tasting drier, then it is a good idea to take the extra effort and dial in the priming sugar level to style when bottling.:mug:

sharkuttack said:
good point, so that kinda answers my original question. if carbonation level can effect flavor to the point of tasting drier, then it is a good idea to take the extra effort and dial in the priming sugar level to style when bottling.:mug:

Yep, that's why most recipes come with a typical carbonation volume, although it doesn't dry out the beer.

o4_srt said:

I have to disagree. Ask any brewery what part of the process is most critical in beer quality, racking to kegs or bottling. I'd bet they all say bottling. Bottling is hard and much more vulnerable to oxidation and infection.

As for drying out the beer during bottling, take a hydrometer sample of the beer that tastes drier to you and compare it to the FG at bottling. If it is lower, than you've either bottled too early or introduced some microbe/wild yeast that has dried it out. Since bottling is a rather exposed process, it is more susceptible to bugs than you might think.

Having worked on three lines over the last 20 years. They are equal in terms of oxidation and infection. At home yes it is more exposed. Not on the keg line not on the bottling pt the canning line. Carbonation on all three by volume of liquid are the same. But the carbonation levels of draft and bottles are different an the time of serving. Dryness is because of increased carb in bottle and cans. Think of drinking a soda right out of the can vs letting it sit and lose most of the c02. Totally different tastes because of the level of carbonation.

jmo88 said:
I have to disagree. Ask any brewery what part of the process is most critical in beer quality, racking to kegs or bottling. I'd bet they all say bottling. Bottling is hard and much more vulnerable to oxidation and infection.

As for drying out the beer during bottling, take a hydrometer sample of the beer that tastes drier to you and compare it to the FG at bottling. If it is lower, than you've either bottled too early or introduced some microbe/wild yeast that has dried it out. Since bottling is a rather exposed process, it is more susceptible to bugs than you might think.

But the storage and serving (carbonation, cleanliness, etc) is not up to the brewery when served in a restaurant or bar. It's up to a third party. Hence my statement. I've noticed far less deviation bottle to bottle of a given beer than between taps in different establishments.

o4_srt said:
But the storage and serving (carbonation, cleanliness, etc) is not up to the brewery when served in a restaurant or bar. It's up to a third party. Hence my statement. I've noticed far less deviation bottle to bottle of a given beer than between taps in different establishments.

Right. Dirty lines and vols of co2 can be an issue. But on the same lines you have to agree that the distributors of those bottles cause similar risks. The brewer has no control of how their beer bottles are stored once they leave the brewery.

As for the OP's concern about beer getting drier in the bottles, that's a red flag to me. I've experienced it in my beers and dozens of other brewer's beers. If the gravity is continuously dropping there is only two reasons this could happen, as I've mentioned earlier. Why doesn't this happen as frequently with kegged beer? Because kegged beer gets transferred to only one vessel, the transfer is faster and less exposed to the elements, and the kegs usually get chilled right after transfer— slowing or inhibiting the growth of some unwanted bug like Brett. If the OP tests the gravity in the bottled beer and compares it to the FG at bottling time, the OP can at least tell if there is a wild yeast problem actually drying out the beer or if it is his/her taste buds confusing dryness for something else.

bottling definitely seems a more controlled process than any beer kit instructions would explain.
I star san and scrub each bottle, then after every 8 bottles or so filled, i stir the bottling bucket gently to make sure the priming sugar is mixed well. then ill place a cap on the already filled bottles while i am simultaneously filling more bottles. once all bottles are filled ill cap them. im gonna start dialing in the correct priming sugar levels to style.
I want to try and get as close as i can to the quality of a commercial bottling process to ensure great, consistent flavor.
if you guys have more tips please let me know:mug:

Latest posts

Back