Does pitching more yeast EVER work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
There are many topics that come up repeatedly in these forums. "Is this infected?" "Should I rack to secondary?" "It's been 2 hours and still no krausen - should I be worried?" But one in particular has me curious.

Whenever someone posts a thread about a beer that didn't attenuate as far as they think it should have, inevitably someone suggests swirling the yeast back up a little bit, or even pitching more yeast, as a way to prod the fermentation on a little bit further. But does this ever actually work? I don't recall anyone ever posting a thread along the lines of, "My gravity plateaued at 1.020, so I pitched another packet of rehydrated US-05 and got it down to 1.012." Intuitively, it doesn't seem like either agitation or repitching would do anything.

We all know there is more than enough yeast still in suspension to successfully bottle carb the beer (even after cold crashing), so why would those same, hungry yeast give up and drop out of primary fermentation if there were still fermentable sugars floating around? And similarly, if the yeast that have been in the beer all along and are acclimated to the environment have given up, why would a fresh pitch of yeast into such a hostile environment (oxygen and nutrient depleted, alcohol present, low pH) be able to find fermentable sugars that the hundreds of billions of yeast cells already there have passed over?

I guess I'm just skeptical that the advice actually accomplishes anything. I understand that raising the temperature can have an effect (as yeast will slow down and drop out if they get too cold), but I'm just not convinced that swirling the yeast will prod them to get back to work, or that pitching new ones will ferment anything the ones already there did not.

Is this outdated advice? Can we put it to bed? Or have people actually seen clear evidence that these practices have made a difference? That is, you had a beer that had definitely stalled out, as measured with a hydrometer over several days, and then after swirling or pitching more yeast, you saw the gravity resume dropping.

It's not an either or. Repitch/Roust AND ramp temps. And yes, it does work sometimes.

As far as I'm concerned it was in bed already and you woke it up with this post. LOL...

PS, you're one of my favorite posters though! Maybe I shouldn't come off so snarky! :mug:!!!!

These are good questions. I have never had a need to pitch additional yeast, but if I DID, the only method I would use is to pitch an active/live starter directly in, not just dump some stuff straight from a retail package.

I can personally see some situations where an additional pitch might help, such as if a wild temp swing killed/knocked out the yeast, or there was a bad pitch/bad yeast initially, or not enough oxygen, etc.

It seems that of all the other possible options to eat up a few more gravity points, pitching fresh/known good yeast would have the best possibility for positive impact.

Regarding carbonation, usually you prime it with simple sugars, which yeast will eat more readily than the sugars found in wort.

It's not an either or. Repitch/Roust AND ramp temps.

Yes, but is there any actual evidence to suggest that the repitch/rousing are actually doing anything, or if it's merely the temperature increase alone that effecting the difference? That is, if you ramped the temperature without pitching more yeast and/or swirling, would you end up at an identical F.G.?

Kara Taylor from White Labs gave a presentation at NHC about blending yeast strains. She mentioned that if a second yeast strain is not pitched within 72 hrs of the initial pitch than it will have a hard time getting going. This supports your statements above that pitching into a hostile environment probably will not have the desired outcome.

She did mention that using some of the wine or champagne strains that are acclimated to the nutrient poor environments may help finish a beer. She also stressed the importance of proper pitching at the start.

Thanks, Hungus, that's exactly the type of data I'm looking for, and seems to support my position. To be clear, I understand that pitching different strains (such as the aforementioned champagne yeast into high-gravity beers) can indeed eke out a few more gravity points - I'm talking strictly about advice to pitch more of the SAME yeast when fermentations appear to have stalled out.

Yes, but is there any actual evidence to suggest that the repitch/rousing are actually doing anything, or if it's merely the temperature increase alone that effecting the difference? That is, if you ramped the temperature without pitching more yeast and/or swirling, would you end up at an identical F.G.?

I guess it would take a proper controlled study, and I haven't done one, so no, I couldn't say for certain. Anecdotally speaking, I have tried the roust by itself, and the ramp by itself and not had them work. And the time the ramp didn't work I repitched and the repitched yeast seemed to take off in the warm temps and help finish out a barleywine.

I do think that the process of "Krausening" is founded on the idea that sometimes new, fresh, recently out of the "adaptive" phase yeast is better at carbonating/eating those final residual sugar chains, then the yeast already in suspension is....but then again, I guess Krausening has fallen by the wayside technique wise to the idea of feeding the existing yeast some simple sugars.

I'm talking in circles...can't really say I have proof, but I believe to some degree it works to re-pitch yeast into a stalled batch.

I had one experience making wine, not beer with a stalled out fermentation.

Short story, got the wine going in the primary, had good fermentation for a day or two and then it just stopped. It was stuck 1/2 way for a couple of days of what it should have been at. I stirred everything back up and put the bucket in a slightly warmer (maybe 2 degree) part of the house and by the next morning it was actively fermenting again. I have never repitched any yeast in anything i ever made. Really that was my only time in brewing 100's of gallons of "stuff" that I had a stalled fermentation.

Good question. I've had luck on a couple batches with the warm and rouse routine to get it going again, but I haven't personally tried JUST warming or JUST rousing to isolate and compare variables. It might be a worthwhile experiment. Unfortunately, engineering a fermentation to stall isn't something I'm well-practiced in, either, and when it happens the first thing that goes through my mind is just to get it going again.

Come to think of it, not even the brewing geniuses at Dogfish Head could make this work. There was a "Brewmasters" episode where a batch of 120 Minute IPA stalled out. Their yeast technician (a fetching young lass, I forget her name) prepped a pitch of fresh, active yeast and added it to the fermenter, but without success. The beer refused to attenuate any further, and they ended up dumping the batch, at a loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I've never actually added more yeast, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of pitching an additional colony. I've had S-33 stall on me completely, the beer dropped clear and I let it sit for a week like that before I checked gravity and saw it was still over 1.020. Warming it up and stirring the yeast got it going again with a second krausen. It dropped to 1.012 I think by the end. That was just using the yeast that was already there.

I've never personally had luck repitching.

When I get a stall, I move to a warmer temperature, sloshing merrily as I go. That's about the best I can hope for.

With our 10 bbl system, moving and sloshing is not an option. So, we go with very yeast healthy environments, (sanitation, uniform temperature that matches your style and yeast and good aeration,) and I pitch heavy. That's about the best you can do.

The beer refused to attenuate any further, and they ended up dumping the batch, at a loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I'm pretty sure they only "dumped" that 120 for TV. Shortly after, their brew pubs sold "Dogfish Ale" that tasted a lot like a sweet 120. The bartenders described it as hoppy as a 120 minute, mouth feel of a 90 minute, but the ABV of a 60 minute. From what I recall they were delicious and only $5 a pop. Dogfish Ale has never been back...

I'm pretty sure they only "dumped" that 120 for TV. Shortly after, their brew pubs sold "Dogfish Ale" that tasted a lot like a sweet 120. The bartenders described it as hoppy as a 120 minute, mouth feel of a 90 minute, but the ABV of a 60 minute. From what I recall they were delicious and only $5 a pop. Dogfish Ale has never been back...

I had two growlers of the DFH ale and it was some of the best beer i ever had. Always was looking for it to make a return. I never put two and two together that it could have been a bad batch of 120........ I might have some new brew idea's.

TV would never lie!! :p

I've just recently had a stout that stalled out at 1030 from an OG of 1055 - too many low fermentable grains in proportion to the base malt. Five days at 1030 and no change. Original yeast was S-04. At 1030, I was not hopeful that it would be drinkable and was frankly a little worried about possible bottle bombs. I roused the yeast and jacked up the temp with no effect. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I pitched a small starter of Wyeast 3711 (could be a new category of saison stout!) which I have known to be a beast. The Wyeast description even mentions its use for restarting stuck fermentations. Sure enough it cranked up again. Nothing major but a steady fermentation that eventually got it down to 1020. It even tastes pretty good - sort of a spicy toasted mellow stout.

I haven't had any issues with beer but my present wine was fermenting and bubbling for more at least a week. It had slowed almost to a stop so I went to transfer. It was more than 6 points above recommended so I put the lid back on and gave it a shake, fermentation started up again almost right away and has been going for more than 2 days now.

The couple times I've had stuck ferments (one with a huge barleywine, one with 1968 that just wussed out, and once with a robust porter) I've done this. Works like a champ.

Again, anecdotally, repitching a little bit of yeast doesn't seem to do anything, but racking on to a massive yeast cake where there's lots and lots and lots of healthy active yeast seems to do the trick.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/psa-foolproof-stuck-ferment-fixer-72072/

Two of them I don't remember, but I know the barleywine started with 1968 and I racked it onto a cake of 1272 when it stalled out.

Back