Does PBW and starsan go bad when expiration date has passed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
Always a problem when buying online products which have expiration date because they ll sell you the oldest first.

I had bought 4 lbs PBW thinking I could spare costs going for the bigger jar but I just realised that the end date I in two months and I still have so much I would not be able to use it all...

What is the reason it goes bad? What is the shelf life of such product? What about starsan, is there an expiration date issue too? Thanks

Don't know the actual scientific answer, but I use both products and I'm not worried about any expiration dates on the package. Actually. I've found many food products are still good well past their expiration dates, so why worry about chemicals "going bad".

my starsan is probably 10 years old after a bit of a hiatus. PH is still bang on when mixed

Often the expiration date on a product like this has more to do with the packaging stability that the product.

Often the expiration date on a product like this has more to do with the packaging stability that the product.

I would not be so sure of that... Is there really no packaging good enough to preserve the pbw for longer? Or is it then on purpose to force buying more often?

I'll send an email to five star chemicals to ask about that. I'll let you know what they answer!

Back