Does my recipe have enough diastatic power to fully convert?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brennan

Reaction score
This recipe is the first time I'll be using more munich than pale malt, and I'm concerned I may have crafted a recipe that does not have enough diastatic power to fully convert. I'm trying to go for a lighter gravity bock/cream ale hybrid, sort of.

See recipe below:

2 lbs. American 2-row
4.5 lbs. Munich Malt
1 lbs. Belgian Biscuit
1 lbs. Honey Malt
1 lbs. Belgian Caramunich
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt
1 lbs. Corn Flaked (Maize)

I appreciate any help, or any method for calculating my diastatic power.

This recipe is the first time I'll be using more munich than pale malt, and I'm concerned I may have crafted a recipe that does not have enough diastatic power to fully convert. I'm trying to go for a lighter gravity bock/cream ale hybrid, sort of.

See recipe below:

2 lbs. American 2-row
4.5 lbs. Munich Malt
1 lbs. Belgian Biscuit
1 lbs. Honey Malt
1 lbs. Belgian Caramunich
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt
1 lbs. Corn Flaked (Maize)

I appreciate any help, or any method for calculating my diastatic power.

I think Munich, at least theoretically, has enough diastase to convert itself, so you should be fine.

Pale malt:
Pale malt is the basis of pale ale and bitter and the precursor in production of most other British beer malts. Dried at temperatures sufficiently low to preserve all the brewing enzymes in the grain, it is light in color and, today, the cheapest barley malt available due to mass production. It can be used as a base malt, that is, as the malt constituting the majority of the grist, in many styles of beer. Typically, English pale malts are kilned at 95-105 °C. Color ASBC 2-3/EBC 5-7. Diastatic power (DP) 45 °Lintner.

Munich malt:
Munich malt is used as the base malt of the bock beer style, especially doppelbock, and appears in dunkel lager and Märzens in smaller quantities. While a darker grain than pale malt, it has sufficient diastatic power to self-convert, despite being kilned at temperatures around 115 °C. It imparts "malty," although not necessarily sweet characteristics, depending on mashing temperatures. ASBC 4-6/EBC 10-15, DP 40 °Lintner.

Biscuit (Mout Roost 50) (18° - 27° L)
This toasted malt will provide a warm bread or biscuit flavor and aroma and will lend a garnet-brown color. Use 5-15% maximum. No enzymes. Must be mashed with malts having surplus diastatic power.

Honey Malt:
Malt sweetness and honey like flavour and aroma make it perfect for any specialty beer. The closest comparison is a light caramel, but Honey Malt has a flavour of its own: sweet and a little bit nutty. Made by restricting the oxygen flow during the sprouting process, Honey Malt is essentially self-stewed. When the oxygen is cut off, the grain bed heats up, developing sugars and rich malt flavours. The malt is lightly kilned for a color color profile of 25 SRM and is devoid of astringent roast flavors. Honey malt has a diastatic power of 50, and can convert itself but not additional adjuncts. It is best mashed with a base malt. Use up to 25% in specialty beers for a unique flavour.

Caramunich, Chocolate and corn have 0 diastatic power. They're such a small percentage that you'll be fine. If you're worried, decrease your water to grist a bit for the first 45 minutes to ~1.0 and then do an infusion of water at the same temp to increase the ratio to 1.5 for another 45 minutes. If it were me, I'd mash at my 1.5 for 60 minutes and take what I'd get. :rockin:

Back