Does Keg Pressure Fluctuate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkeydude

Reaction score
I kegged for the first time yesterday. I am using BierMuncher's method of 48 hrs @ 30psi to force carb.

Do I have to continually make sure that the pressure stays at 30 or should the tank be regulating on it's own. I started it last night at 30 psi, checked after an hour and noticed it had slipped to 28. I dialed it back up again this morning.

I checked for leaks. No leaks.

Logic would dictate that as the keg absorbs the c02, I would have to keep charging it.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

The regulator maintains a constant pressure. As the keg absorbs CO2 and the pressure begins to drop, the regulator will allow more CO2 to come in from the tank and maintain the set pressure in your system. Sometimes regulators take a while to fully adjust to a new set temperature, especially in a fridge or something. On my regulator, if I dial in at ~12 psi, it may creep up to 14 or 15 psi once I let it sit for a few hours; once you get your regulator dialed in, however, it will maintain that pressure throughout the system.

Back