Does dry yeast produce less esters at high temperatures???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldtagtrip

Reaction score
i noticed that the beers that i made with dry yeast are less esteries than the ones i used liquid yeast. since i dont have any control of my fermentation temperature yet, i wonder if dry yeast is the best solution for me at the moment. Anyone have any comments to that? thank you.

Well I think your best bet is to source out any yeast that (regardless of dry or liquid) will suit your situation until you have a good way to control temps. I can't comment on liquid vs. dry in this scenario but I have had good success with US-05 at around 68 Deg F. I wouldn't go any higher as the temp inside the fermentor will be even higher than that. Some Saison yeasts like higher temps so that may be another option for you. Otherwise, I would look into a swamp cooler setup to get your temps down and then you can use S-04 in the mid 60 range quite nicely. This is the method I use.

Also it is easier to pitch a proper cell count with dry yeast. Underpitching will cause more esters. If you arent making starters, the liquid yeast was likely very underpitched, which would be the problem more than the temp.

Dry yeast vs. liquid yeast won't in itself make any difference, the differences will be mostly due to the strain of yeast.

However, you may be pitching different amounts of each. Dry yeast sachets have nearly twice as many yeast cells as liquid yeast packages when made, and dry yeasts are a bit more shelf stable than liquid yeasts. A properly rehydrated package of fresh dry yeast will give you twice as much yeast as a fresh WYeast or White Labs package. This gets worse if the packages are a few months old, or haven't been stored in the fridge during transport. This is why it's advised to use a starter on liquid yeasts. Underpitching will result in more esters and yeast character generally.

Given a proper pitching rate, the strain of yeast will be the determining factor on how much esters and different off-tastes are produced at different temperatures. US-05 is reportedly peachy tasting when fermented cold (e.g. 64F), although I'm not sure if that's from ester production. English yeasts (e.g. S-04, WLP002, WY1968 etc) will be cleaner at around 64F, but generally produce a lot more esters if fermented above about 68F, while US-05 is pretty clean at that temperature. WLP001 will be as well. Other yeast strains may behave completely differently.

Thank you for all the anwsers it helped a lot. I always make starters and i try to be acurate witj the starters sizes but as you know it is hard to be precise. I HAD a.1056 that tasted very belgium, which fermented at about 72(horrible i know) but my apartment is hot.

Was that 72 degrees room temperature or fermenter temperature? If room temp your actual fermentation temp was likely much higher than that.

Outside fermentor which i believe is room temp so inside even hotter, terrible.

A wet towel around the fermenter and a small fan, will take a few degrees off the temp. Its lo-fi, cheap, and far better than nothing for any beer you think is going to be too warm.

Back