does chilling the beer affect the carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiud

Reaction score
Does anyone know if chilling the beer have any effect on the carbonation? Room temperature vs 70 degree vs 40 degrees.

I bottled some of my batch in Grolsch bottles. I opened one after 1.5 week and basically blew the swing top off the bottle. It was like opening a champagne bottle. It didn't overflow though. Nice head, lace and decent carbonation. I suspect either the beer is still not ready or because it wasn't chilled? scared the crap out of me though.

Reminded me of the Christmas Story movie "you'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

The Grolsch bottles themselves can be slightly problematic... depending on how well you have sealed the bottle, and how well the rubber washer is working.

Yes it does, and it plays a huge role in kegging. If you were to try and force carbonate a keg of beer at 70*F you need to give it like 40 PSI of pressure, but to get the same carbonation at refrigeration temps only takes like 12 PSI. It's been a while since I force carbed so maybe one of the kegging gods will correct my numbers if they're off...

also, you need to chill the beer for at least 24 hours, preferably 48 hours. need to get the beer cold first, then the CO2 in the head space goes slowly into solution.

try it out. chill one bottle for 2 days, and another bottle for like 4 hours, just so its cold. open and pour both. the 4 hour beer will taste less carbd and will go flat faster.

(the same is true for any carbonated beverage)

Back