Does "beer flour" do weird things to bread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie8000

Reaction score
We brew using BIAB and fill the bags before putting them into the water (I have recently discovered that this is not how most people do it, but that's not the point at the moment). This means we get some "beer flour" coming through the bags and onto the work surface. We collect this and get about a quarter cup per batch.

We then throw this into whatever bread we're making. The last few loaves where we've done this have gone weird and wrong. It comes out gummy and underdone-seeming, but the temperature probe is saying it's higher than it needs to be (and the thermometer works usually). We don't use a consistent bread recipe so there are lots of other factors that might be the cause. However, it's happened just about enough that it seems like this might be the crucial variable, even though I can't think why that might be the case.

Any ideas?

I've started experimenting with adding fresh ground barley flour to bread and experienced the same thing. I've tried 25-10%; 25% was a gummy mess. 10% was not quite as bad but still way too much. Both of these were overnight & cold fermentations.

I'm thinking the amount of active enzymes is too much. A recipe for kaiser rolls from Peter Rheinhart calls for only 1tsp of enzymatic barley powder for around 1kg of flour...something I discovered later. Aside from amylase enzymes, there are lots of proteases and other enzymes...heres an excerpt from a MBAA paper:

The prominent malting and brewing enzymes are, but are not limited to, amylases (carbohydrate enzymes), proteases (protein enzymes), peptidases (which break down protein pieces into amino acids), and β-glucanases and xylanases (cellulose enzymes).

I would limit the amount you are using by a large amount, and if you want to add more barley use a specialty malt that has kilned high enough to denature enzymes.

Back