• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Does anyone line their mash tun with a BIAB?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Home_alone1

Reaction score
I’ve been doing this since my 3rd batch a couple years ago. My false bottom was crap so I improvised and got a bag from my LHBS . I brew with a lot of wheat and haven’t had a stuck sparge since going this rout.

greywolf

Reaction score
I line my basket with voile and it works great. I was astonished at the drain rate. I was getting frustrated with stuck sparges in mt igloo with hose braid. This soooo much better.

Jayjay1976

Bubblegazer
Reaction score
+1 for @wilserbrewer 's BIAB bags and his ratcheting pulleys; awesome quality and stellar service, his bags are easy to hoist but will never let you down!!

After mashing out with a good squeeze I drop it in a bucket to cool off before dumping into a trash bag. Some days I am too worn out to dump it right away so I let it sit for a day or two, in which case the naturally occurring lactobacillus in the grain has taken over and my garage smells like yogurt. I never "wash" the bag beyond spraying out with hot water and rinsing thoroughly, then hang dry it from the hoisting hook over my kettle.

If I had any doubts about the old bag's durability I would have a backup on hand, but 35 batches in it is as strong and trustworthy as ever.