Does anyone carve pumpkins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My youngest son & I carved these a lil while ago while helping SWMBO prep for later. Need some better night shots later...

Nice! Here are ours.

P_20151031_183047.jpg

P_20151031_183103.jpg

You should've tossed the guts & seeds in with'em, then cover with leaves, lawn clippings etc to about 15". The lil pumpkin plants will peek through the melting snow. I used to do that...

You should've tossed the guts & seeds in with'em, then cover with leaves, lawn clippings etc to about 15". The lil pumpkin plants will peek through the melting snow. I used to do that...

We cut up the pumpkins, roast 'em and then puree them. Easy way to add body and veggies to many, many meals. Like chilli, stew, cakes, breads, etc.

I carved a couple. One creepy one, one fun one, and one was just claws tearing through the pumpkin. This is the only one I took a picture of. We didnt' get them carved until way after dark on Halloween, so they just sit dark on the front patio until time to go into the compost pile.

IMG_20151031_202657651[1].jpg

I always cook sugar pumpkins but these aren't as good to eat. I got rid of them because they were starting to get slimy.

We roast the seeds and eat those, but the pumpkins go over the wall. The javelinas will eat them.

Went to carve mine on Halloween and it was rotting from the inside out. Very soft almost tissue paper thin in spots and gross inside. All that made carving it a real b!tch.

View attachment 313776

Had one of those this year when we helped my nieces carve them. Picked one up and the bottom (and guts) stayed on the ground. Yuck.

Had one of those this year when we helped my nieces carve them. Picked one up and the bottom (and guts) stayed on the ground. Yuck.

The inside of the pumpkin was green and there was fluid inside it. No time left to get another. I carved Yoda into it but it took me twice as long for 1/2 as good of a job. Luckily I've never had that happen before.

pictures from yesterday. the grey pumpkin was a pain, my 8 year old helped for the first time this year. she did pretty good.

IMG_2156.jpg

Back