Does anybody have experience with Candi Syrup d-240

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This yeast is SLOOOOW. Sampled today after 8 days in the fernenter and I'm at 1.036 now. Tasted the sample, first thing that striked me is, it's very fruity although I only used 7gr bitter orange peels,and slighly sweet, not too surprising seeing the gravity. Upped the temperature to 24C and will let it go for two more weeks, more updates after that.

The brew is still going slowly but surely, it is at 1.020 now and my dad tasting the sample said it is definitely Gouden Carolus like in flavour. Set the fermentation chamber now at 25C hoping the yeast will chew just a bit more, I am hoping to finish at 1.015 and bottle in a week.

The beer has been sitting in 25C past days and last reading was 1.013, which would be 1.014 corrected to 20C Tasted it and it is pretty damn close to the original beer, in smell color and most importantly flavour. The beer tastes slightly too sweet, but since it is not carbonated and 25C isn't exactly serving temperature I think the final result will be very close to the orignal. If anybody is interressted I could post the tonight.

IMG_5574.jpg
IMG_5573.jpg

How is it tasting now that it has a little more age on it? Also do you mind posting the recipe you used for this?
Absolutely delicious! Very good, nice rich flavours, absolutely delicous.
About the recipe,
Here it is:
Recipe Type:
All Grain
Yeast:
Het Anker
Yeast Starter:
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter:
no
Batch Size (Gallons):
Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
Boiling Time (Minutes):
IBU:
20.1 Tinseth
Color:
53.3 EBC
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
21 days 21-25C
Tasting Notes:

Really close to the original Gouden Carolus Classic
So a while back I have discovered this amazing beer called Gouden Carolus Classic and since I have been obsessed with it. I have literally spend days searching for information do's and don'ts and I finally came up with a recipe which I want to share with you guys today.

The yeast was harvested from bottles Hopsinjoor, and I really think it makes a difference in this brew, if you don't have access to this yeast, the Chimay , La Chouffe or Forbidden fruits yeast strains are supposedly good alternatives.

This recipe is for a 20Liter batch:
Fermentables:
4.7KG Belgian Pilsener Malt
0.7KG Carared Malt
0.4KG Flaked wheat
0.2KG Belgian Special B Malt
0.453KG D-240 Candi Syrup added the last minute of the boil

Mashing Schedule:
Mash in with18.5 L of 55.9C Water
Step 1 20 minutes@52C
Raise the temperature in 10 minutes to:
Step 2 20 minutes@62C
Raise the temperature in 10 minutes to:
Step 3 30 minutes@72C
Raise the temperature in 5 minutes to:
Step 4 15 minutes@77C
Drain the mash tun and sparge 2 times with 77C 5,95L water

Boil for 90 minutes and add:
Hops and spices:
15 grams Challengers flowers@ 60 minutes
15 grams Styrian Goldings flowers @ 30 minutes
7 grams of ground Coriander seeds @15 minutes
7 grams of bitter orange peel @ 15 minutes
1 whole star anise @5 minutes

Cool to 18 degrees and pitch yeast and let it rise to 21C
after 48 hours raise the temperature gradually to 25C (this yeast likes it warm)
OG:1.076
FG:1.014

The result is very close to the original Carolus, although that one is a tad sweeter, and this one is a bit more comples, for my second clone attempt I will use cassonade sugar instead of the d-240 and add a bit more anise(or boil it longer)
But all in all a very nice beer as it is!

Back