Does anybody else.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fill my fermenter and a bucket with sanitizer the nignt before and i fill my mash tun with hot water and oxy clean and let it sit all night. It cleans it and pre heats it all at once. When i wake up in the morning i drain and rinse the mash tun, the sanitizer is ready and i start heating strike water. I figure it saves me at least an hour on brew day.

Nope. Time spent cleaning comes at the other end for me. And brew day sanitation is pretty much a non-factor in terms of time. I sanitize my carboy, blow-off tube set-up, and immersion chiller during the mash or boil.

Nope. Time spent cleaning comes at the other end for me. And brew day sanitation is pretty much a non-factor in terms of time. I sanitize my carboy, blow-off tube set-up, and immersion chiller during the mash or boil.

That's what I do. I brew, sanitize my fermenter and airlock, and when I'm done brewing just clean my boil kettle then. It takes less than 5 minutes do sanitize the stuff I'm going to sanitize, and I do that while my wort is chilling.

Not hours. but some time on it.
The night before I get everthing set up, put sanitizer in the carboys, crush the grains, weigh out the hops in dixie cops and stack in order, check my hoses and fittings, and read over my notes.
I like to start my brew day early, about 6 am for me.

Ya there really should be a need to CLEAN the night before unless you left everything dirty after the last one (gross). Do it right once. Then since everything is clean, including the fermenter, it takes 2 minutes to sanitize. Everything preboil gets sanitized in the boil so I just give it a good scrub with water right after I'm done with it.

Certainly not hours, but I definitely do a bit of prepping the night before. This generally entails setting up the burner, kettle and folding table. I measure all my water, weigh my grains and lay out all my instruments.

I also start my brewday early, around 6am, so the day isn't completely shot when I finish.

About the only things I'll do the day before is mill my grain and prep my water (I have extremely hard water, so I always dilute with RO). But then, I'll really only do that if I want to shave some time off the brewday. Which I usually do as having a 1yr old means I have to keep the time in the garage as short as possible or the SWMBO will smother me in my sleep.

That's what I do. I brew, sanitize my fermenter and airlock, and when I'm done brewing just clean my boil kettle then. It takes less than 5 minutes do sanitize the stuff I'm going to sanitize, and I do that while my wort is chilling.

Same here. What's to clean before you brew?

Not hours. but some time on it.
The night before I get everthing set up, put sanitizer in the carboys, crush the grains, weigh out the hops in dixie cops and stack in order, check my hoses and fittings, and read over my notes.
I like to start my brew day early, about 6 am for me.

This is my process too. Except for the 6AM part. I'm lucky if I start before 2PM.:)

Hours,,,, Hours!!!! I clean for freeken days!!! It takes some time to let caryboys soak in PBW. It takes time to break down stuff like the grain mill (not every time)and clean out all the crud. I pressure can the plate chiller, then flush. Don't get me started about cleaning bottles/leting the kegs soak in PBW. The start of a brew day is the end of the last batch, so yes,, I spend time cleaning. I clean more than I brew.

Hours,,,, Hours!!!! I clean for freeken days!!! It takes some time to let caryboys soak in PBW. It takes time to break down stuff like the grain mill (not every time)and clean out all the crud. I pressure can the plate chiller, then flush. Don't get me started about cleaning bottles/leting the kegs soak in PBW. The start of a brew day is the end of the last batch, so yes,, I spend time cleaning. I clean more than I brew.

Then I suggest Star-San instead of PBW. A couple of minutes soaking and it's done. No rinsing, no drying. On brew day, I make a 1 gallon batch of Star-San in a bucket. Pour it into a carboy (that has been stored clean with a piece of aluminium foil covering the mouth). Put in a stopper and shake. Walk out to garage and assemble MLT (2 minutes at best), and fire up HLT for stike water. Go back in house and dump carboy back into bucket. I might tear down my mill once a year, and that's with brewing more than 25 times a year. Brew day is long enough with out making it worse. :tank:

Brew day is every other Saturday, bottle 5 gal, keg 5 gal, rack to secondary 10 gal, (yes I secondary everything to open up my primaries) brew 10 gal. I have 2/ 6 gal primary's and 2/ 5 gal secondary's and two corney kegs.. Sometimes I have to drink pretty hard on brew day to kick a keg on brew day but I can always somehow manage..back to the op's original question I clean and sanitize as I go... It's all about finding your rhythm! 6 hrs and I'm done! I really don't care who's birthday it is or whatever else the wife thinks that I should be doing on that day... These are MY BREW DAYS!! Just check
the calendar honey It's every other Saturday!!! Clean and sanitize on brew days... There is plenty of time..

Ok, I didn't drink as much this time while brewing so i would feel like cleaning. I rinsed and soaked everything in oxy when i got finished so all i have to do next brew day is rinse and sanitize. I'll find my rhythm, just have to monitor my drinking!

EDIT: See Black IPA pic

Black IPA.jpg

CaptnCully said:
Brew day is every other Saturday, bottle 5 gal, keg 5 gal, rack to secondary 10 gal, (yes I secondary everything to open up my primaries) brew 10 gal. I have 2/ 6 gal primary's and 2/ 5 gal secondary's and two corney kegs.. Sometimes I have to drink pretty hard on brew day to kick a keg on brew day but I can always somehow manage..back to the op's original question I clean and sanitize as I go... It's all about finding your rhythm! 6 hrs and I'm done! I really don't care who's birthday it is or whatever else the wife thinks that I should be doing on that day... These are MY BREW DAYS!! Just check
the calendar honey It's every other Saturday!!! Clean and sanitize on brew days... There is plenty of time..

Aye aye captain! Lol. Wish you could train my (ex)swmbo.

I keep the brew room clean and organized at all times. Normally give it a good cleaning every other month. I try to bottle a batch every Friday evening and brew on Sunday but that is hard to keep up with in the summer as there are many demands on time. But with grand kid off to college I will get back to brewing every Sunday (this is good because my pipeline is very low <200 bottle) :D
Just hit my initial strike temp on an American Black Ale.

As for set up I do that the night before sometimes and sometimes the day of. Depends on what is going on... takes longer to grind the grains than anything and I always do that while the strike water heats .... fresh ground grain straight into the tun.

I guess it depends on your Equitment. It takes me close to an hour before brew day to wash and clean my stuff. I have a pump and plate chiller that needs cleaning before I use it . Takes 10 min to heat the water to 110 degrees put PBW in run through hoses, pump, chiller for twenty minutes. Heat more water to rinse for another twenty.

When the brew day is done I back flush and rinse everything. I would clean at the end of the day but I store my rig in the garage and stuff gets on it so it is easier to do before i brew.

I have a 20 gallon Rubbermaid tub that doubles as a storage bin when I'm not brewing and on a brew day I fill with 15 gallons of a Star San solution. I run warm /hot water (recycled from my CFC) through my rig after my brew day for cleanup and will do a complete tear down every 10 brews and soak everything in PBW.

Aside from the tear down and PWB soak I would say cleanup is less than 15 minutes

Back