Does ale yeast work well for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratm4484

Reaction score
If I use an ale yeast, what sort of effect will it have as compared to champagne yeast? I don't want a yeasty flavor or anything. I would prefer apple taste all the way. Anyone have experience with different types? How about British ale yeast compared to American ale yeast? I am leaning towards an ale yeast over a champagne unless someone can clearly tell me why not to do this. Thanks

I use ale yeast and the yeast you chose will impart the same characteristics as it does on your beer except when you see "malt" read apple. Ale yeast will normally leave you with a little sweater cider then champagne yeast too. For yeast info check the links below

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm

BTW I prefer Wyeast 1098 British Ale Yeast. The original dried yeast from Whitbread. Produces beers with a clean neutral finish allowing malt and hop character to dominate. Ferments dry & crisp, slightly tart, fruity and well-balanced. Ferments well down to 65°F (18° C). Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-75%. (64-72° F, 18-22° C)
-OR-
White Labs equivilent
WLP005 British Ale Yeast
This yeast is a little more attenuative than WLP002. Like most English strains, this yeast produces malty beers. Excellent for all English style ales including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.
Attenuation: 67-74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum fermentation temperature: 65-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

I use ale yeast for cider. It still comes out fairly dry, but not as dry as champaign yeast would.

My first cider batch was brewed with Wyeast Liquid Draft yeast, and it's great. Has a bit crisper flavor, I think, and plenty of hardness. :drunk:

Tony

Back