Does a yeast starter change bottling date?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHAIV

Reaction score
So I just started making yeast starters for my beer. I recently had a gallon of cider I made that wouldn't carbonate. I guess because all the yeast dropped out and I bottled it after 3 weeks without a starter. It may be just because it's cider but that experience got me worried about my beer not carbonating. If the yeast starter for my beer is starting the fermentation faster and finishing faster. Then I should be moving the schedule up as well correct? I'm just worried about doing 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary with a pale ale og of 1.050. In other words how long after fermentation can the yeast stay in suspension for bottle carbing?

Short answer, no.

Depends what it is. Something like 1007 or 3068 will stay in suspension forever. 002 will clear pretty quickly. In either case, you should have plenty of yeast in suspension after 4 weeks to carbonate properly, with or without a starter.

And *obligatory no need for a secondary comment*

I actually am using s05. I know there is no need for a starter with dry yeast but I was practicing and testing my homemade stir plate. So vigorous fermentation started like 12 hours after pitching

Anyone think it'll be an issue? I guess I'll find out. I'm about to bottle my first batch that I didn't have a stir plate for

Anyone think it'll be an issue? I guess I'll find out. I'm about to bottle my first batch that I didn't have a stir plate for

I use mostly US-05 and keep my beers in primary for a minimum of 3 weeks. The longest I've done was 8 weeks in primary vessel. I never transfer to secondary, as I find it redundant. Never had a problem with carbonation.

Fizz drops can have their own problems.

Don't do a secondary and you'll be happier. Plenty of people bottle after 4 weeks. Just put the racking cane in the beer, rack to a bottling bucket and bottle. Let it sit for 3+ weeks and you'll see it clear up. You could even add gelatin if you want clear bottled beer.

Back