Does a long fermentation lend to aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gluten

Reaction score
Sunday will be my batches 3rd week in the primary and it's still got a couple of points till F.G.

If I wanted to age it properly will my time be somewhat shorter or does true aging not begin until after fermentation ends?

6#sorghum
1#honey
1/2#steeping oats
1/2oz galena
1ozoz cascade
nottingham

How do you know it has a couple points till FG? Do you mean it has a couple point till the FG you want or expected? Most beers are not going to drop anymore after 3 weeks. I have had some big beers that have but that doesn't look like a big beer.

Anyway, you have probably been aging for the last 2 weeks. Just because your beer is in the primary fermenter doesn't mean it is actually fermenting anymore.

If it has a couple of points to go I would assume you are still fermenting. I have a Stout that is still in the primary, it has been about 18 days and still having some airlock activity. The OG came in at 1.060 and this past Tuesday it was 1.020, and I should end around 1.015. I took a gravity reading because this is the first fermentation that has gone over 5-6 days for me, and I couldn't beleive how long this batch is taking. I am going to check the gravity this Tuesday which will be exactly 3 weeks to see if I dropped my last few points, but like I said I still have airlock activity so I assume it is still fermenting.

Latest posts

Back