Does a failure to 'mash out' potentially lead to thinner beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering that Brülosophy can only measure gravity, PH and temperature I think we can regard any statements such as "no tannins were formed" as totally unsubstantiated. As for the taste panel having many members, that's surely no guarantee of quality of results. If I were to randomly pick 44 people in the street and conduct a taste test with them I think we could regard the results as completely worthless.

While I really like and appreciate the guys at Brulosophy, the methodology is truly flawed and would NEVER be used in a true taste panel. Having someone who is untrained and unaware of whatever 'fault' or 'improvement' they are supposed to discern, is not going to be capable of producing a valid assessment. Worthless or nearly worthless is a good assessment of the 'testing' results.

Regarding the fact that lower gravity wort has lower viscosity, I don't see how that is going to produce the known increase in tannins and silicate. I still believe its the osmosis effects.

Brulosophy seems to be analysing general beer drinking(will this affect how it is received at a party).

I don't see hho knowing the variable invalidates the fact the one can pick out the difference,(although confirmation bias couls make you assume they all taste the sane) I don't really care if only one third of people can tell the difference, some taste thresholds vary morw than others amongst people.
I personally am more interested if there are individuals who can consistenly find the odd beer out, since that would mean there is a detectable difference).

Definitely does!

I always mashout since I brew on a RIMS and its easy to perform a mashout step. I routinely see a 1 to 2 Brix increase in wort gravity after the mashout.

Is mashout necessary? No. But it’s worthwhile when its easy.

Regarding thinner beer, I hadn’t thought about that before. Given that a proper mashout does add some gravity, I guess that some of that extract does add components that aid head production. Looking back, my beers always produce good head.

Appreciate your thoughts and feedback on this. I was looking to confirm with others what I had observed...

I started seeing my pre-boil gravity numbers slip a bit and was trying to figure out my efficiency problem. I've done a number of things and one was going back to doing a mash out. I've seen my efficiencies improve.

I think it's more related to the fact that solubility increases with temperature, so extraction efficiency could be increased by higher mashout temps.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

I have only rarely conducted a so called "mash out". Only occasionally do I mash for less than 90 minutes and frequently longer for darker beers. For maximum extraction, sparging takes up to 2 hours, but such beers are never thin. Such will be achieved by a combination of low temperature and longer duration.

Alpha amylase is usually present in excess quantity for our mashing needs. They withstand higher temperatures than beta and can convert malt to long chain sugars inside 10 minutes at temperatures near to 75C. At such temperatures or higher, virtually all beta amylase would be denatured in that period. At more usual mash temperatures, little beta amylase remains active beyond one hour unless calcium salts are added. Calcium salts increase enzyme longevity, but after an hour their influence in a mash is mostly limited to depositing oxalates and other undesirable products and the production of an adequate level of free amino nitrogen for the yeast.

Back