Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had somebody to teach me how to drink responsibly when I was younger...it might have saved me a few of those reckless years at the end of high school. My dad's father got him ridiculously ill on cider when he was about 16. He didn't have any problems getting 'faced through high school and college. He knew what the consequences were of those actions. And he learned about them with a responsible and caring party watching over him instead of his ignorant (drunken) friends.

I wish I had somebody to teach me how to drink responsibly when I was younger...it might have saved me a few of those reckless years at the end of high school. My dad's father got him ridiculously ill on cider when he was about 16. He didn't have any problems getting 'faced through high school and college. He knew what the consequences were of those actions. And he learned about them with a responsible and caring party watching over him instead of his ignorant (drunken) friends.

Same here.:mug: I would have to say Beer gave me a more interesting life though, than I would have had,then.

TromboneGuy said:
On that firearms thing... I would consider it irresponsible parenting to NOT teach your children how to safely handle firearms. Like knowing how to work the safety, check to make sure they're unloaded, etc. at the minimum. Even if you don't want to learn to shoot them, you should know enough to be able to check one if you stumble across it.

And sorry for that being totally off topic. ;)

I just want to say that I am glad to hear someone say this. I learned to shoot and safely handle firearms starting at 5 years of age. A morning of shooting meant an afternoon of cleaning. I always knew where the guns were, and the dangers they could present. I believe alcohol should be handled in the same light.

While I tend to agree that firearms should be introduced to children early on also, I don't understand the "if you stumble across it" comment. The odds of randomly stumbling across a firearm out and about are next to nothing no matter where you live, and in the astronomically rare event that it happens, the person making the discovery is better off leaving it alone. In the home, there should be no "stumbling across it". I own plenty of firearms, and don't ever expect my children to just "stumble across" one, ever. That is my responsibility as a gun owning parent.

I haven't bothered to read the rest of this thread, because it looks like was devolving into a semi-political area. That said, I grew up with my father drinking a beer every night with the news. I've never seen him drunk. He's a retired officer in the Air Force and I have the utmost respect for his character. In fact, I think this has something to do with my very healthy respect for alcohol.

As for me, my son is two and a half and get a sip--one sip--of every beer I drink (if he's around). And after each sip, we talk about the beer. We look at it to see if it's light or dark. He can tell me if it's hoppy or sweet. He knows an ale from a lager. Again, this kid is TWO and a half years old. He already can't wait to help me in m brewing.

Once I was drinking a beer and I finished it off. He said, "Daddy needs another beer." My wife told him it was the last one and he went running into the kitchen shouting, "That's okay. We can maaaaaake some!"

That's healthy, right?

While I tend to agree that firearms should be introduced to children early on also, I don't understand the "if you stumble across it" comment. The odds of randomly stumbling across a firearm out and about are next to nothing no matter where you live, and in the astronomically rare event that it happens, the person making the discovery is better off leaving it alone. In the home, there should be no "stumbling across it". I own plenty of firearms, and don't ever expect my children to just "stumble across" one, ever. That is my responsibility as a gun owning parent.

Not to get too off-topic, but I took the "if you stumble across it" comment not to mean that your kid would be playing outside and find a random Glock abandoned on the sidewalk (unless you live in a REALLY rough neighborhood), but more like maybe they'd be over at a friend's house, and the other kid would say, "hey, my dad's 12-gauge is in the closet, wanna check it out?" Most times I hear about young children dying from accidental gunshots, it's from them finding an unsecured firearm at their own or a friend's/relative's house. They start fooling around with it, turns out it was left loaded, and BOOM, someone ends up killed.

Sure, the main issue is that the adults should keep their guns locked up in the first place, but if that doesn't happen, do you want your kid to see it and think "Cool, now I can play Call of Duty for real!" or "if I'm not careful with this, I could hurt myself or others"?

Down here in New Orleans we have some pretty lax drinking laws. As a youngster growing up my father owned a bar so I was in that environment often. I took sips of beer from my dad all the time. When I was well into my teens, I was allowed a few beers on certain holidays and events. I was taught the whole "enjoy responsibly" that is so often spoken today. In Louisiana you are allowed to drink anywhere with your parents if you are 18 years old. The only caveat to this is you have to find a bar that has outdoor seating or some type of patio. Because of the video poker (gambling devices) you must be 21 to enter a bar with poker machines. So you are allowed to buy your kid a drink at 18 and sit outside and raise your child your way.

I always let my little girl taste stuff, she even has a small handled half pint glass that gets filled with a shandy made from the beer I am drinking in the large pint sized version of the same glass.

She prefers oatmeal stouts and low hop beers to lagers and IPAs but goes mad for Leffe Bruin.

It's her 7th birthday today so she's going to be delighted when she sees I've bought her her first bottle of Bushmills Irish Whiskey (joking of course but when she's older, say 14 or 15 I will of course let her sip that too and see there's no mystery to it. I imagine the experience will put her off for many years to come.....)

At Christmas she has her own small glass with a dash of wine in topped up with soda water. My partner and I were brought up differently and alcohol was off limits so we both did anything we could to sneak it when we got the chance. We'd rather bring our kids up so they don't feel that attraction to it as a rebellious act.

From the time I was 10 I was allowed to drink beer, wine and liquor in the house but there were a couple rules to it.

If I drank I could not leave the house
I could drink but not with the purpose of getting drunk (more with meals than anything)
If I abused the privelige I was not allowed to do it anymore
If I ever gave any friend alcohol I was no longer allowed the privilege

It taught me responsibility with alcohol, not to say I haven't done my share of abusing it as well.
I allow both my kids the same priviege if they want, my oldest has no desire to drink (20) as she watched her mother abuse drugs and alcohol both.
My youngest (14) has tasted a beer here and there and a little wine, but she doesn't like it so she doesn't partake. She also watched her mother descend the spiral of abuse and I think that has a lasting impression on her as well.

From the time I was 10 I was allowed to drink beer, wine and liquor in the house but there were a couple rules to it.

If I drank I could not leave the house
I could drink but not with the purpose of getting drunk (more with meals than anything)
If I abused the privelige I was not allowed to do it anymore
If I ever gave any friend alcohol I was no longer allowed the privilege

It taught me responsibility with alcohol, not to say I haven't done my share of abusing it as well.
I allow both my kids the same priviege if they want, my oldest has no desire to drink (20) as she watched her mother abuse drugs and alcohol both.
My youngest (14) has tasted a beer here and there and a little wine, but she doesn't like it so she doesn't partake. She also watched her mother descend the spiral of abuse and I think that has a lasting impression on her as well.

I allow my kids sips of wine and beer. My kids help me make beer and there is no stigma associated with alcohol. However, I will not allow 'drinking parties' or any other nonsense at my house. If I catch my teenager drunk, there will be trouble.

I must say absolutely not. The law states the drinking age is 21, so I will not authorize under age drinking.

I understand the argument behind revealing the mystery behind alcohol to kids, and after living in europe for quite a while I see both sides of the coin. However, the law is the, and as one who is tasked with enforcing laws it would show a lack of integrity to allow my children to break laws. If anything they are held to a higher standard.

That is pretty scary sir, I will never do, or not do something because it is against "the law." You have to remember that unfortunately a lot of laws are passed because of fear, money, control, and rarely logic. Is it less intelligent to; follow others so that we don't get into trouble, or to not follow those who know nothing about what they implement as law, and take the risk's so that we can live the life we each choose for ourselves? I choose not to be suppressed by the few who seem to pass funny laws.:rockin:

I tried beer for the first time when I was about 5, my grandfather was a brewer and he exposed all 4 of us to beer(me and my 3 sisters). Out of the 4 girls, only one of them drinks beer now(me) though one of my sisters has started having a few in recent years(we're in our 40s now). My kids were around beer because I drink and one of my sister's kids were around beer because her husband drank, but none of them(getting close to 21 now) drink at all. They just aren't interested. At the same time, their friends are being exposed to it and experimenting for the first time. I don't see anything wrong with letting them learn at home, instead of learning later from peers that do not have their best interests in mind.

My parents allowed me to drink wine or beer fairly freely, specially at dinners and so. So I didn't really touch it, apart from red wine with lemonade every now and then (this is a common way to serve table wine in Spain). I found beer fairly off putting since a kid and didn't get into it until my mid twenties when I tried bitter. I managed with pure red wine a bit earlier on.

That is pretty scary sir, I will never do, or not do something because it is against "the law." You have to remember that unfortunately a lot of laws are passed because of fear, money, control, and rarely logic. Is it less intelligent to; follow others so that we don't get into trouble, or to not follow those who know nothing about what they implement as law, and take the risk's so that we can live the life we each choose for ourselves? I choose not to be suppressed by the few who seem to pass funny laws.:rockin:

Not sure which is scarier...overzealous cops or citizens who believe they're above the law.

Without reading through the whole thread (I'm sure this has been brought up already, but if not I'll bring it up anyway)- it's not inherently illegal for underage kids to drink. There's no federal "drinking age", and state laws vary with different exceptions to the 21 age limit. In some states, it is indeed illegal under any circumstances. In other states (in fact, in many other states), it's legal for someone underage to drink alcohol at home with their parents, and I believe in a very few states it's even legal under certain circumstances for underage to be served alcohol at a restaurant or bar. Check your local laws. I know it's legal for underage folks to drink at home with their parents in VA.

In Ohio, it is perfectly legal for children to have a drink, permitted that it is their parent of legal guardian who did the ordering. As a youth I not only enjoyed the occasional drink at home, around the holidays, but also was able to share in our family margarita pitcher when we went out for Mexican cuisine.

Even in-state, many do not realize that the law reads in that way. Parents are given more responsibility than most of them even know. I would say: err on the side of caution but give your children the respect that they're due. They are, after all, capable of grasping new concept much more quickly than we are. Don't assume that you're doing them any favors by shielding them from the everyday world for too long.

whoaru99 said:
Not sure which is scarier...overzealous cops or citizens who believe they're above the law.

We're all "above the law." Most of us are capable of developing our own ideas of right and wrong. Sometimes, one's idea of right and wrong doesn't align with what society as a whole (or society as a whole 100+ years ago) decided is right and wrong. At this point, one is faced with a choice of whether to obey the law or accept the risk of the consequences associated with the illegal activity. For some activities, such as allowing your underage kid to have a drink, the risk of facing consequences are incredibly low.

No, not all of us are. Accepting the risk of breaking the law, which most of us do almost daily if, for example, we drive any kind of motor vehicle, is not the same as thinking you're above it; that law doesn't apply to you because you think you're special or just don't agree with it.

No, not all of us are. Accepting the risk of breaking the law, which most of us do almost daily if, for example, we drive any kind of motor vehicle, is not the same as thinking you're above it; that law doesn't apply to you because you think you're special or just don't agree with it.

Maybe the law is over stepping its boundaries by telling parents how they should raise their children in what would be considered a trivial matter.

whoaru99 said:

Who thinks that a law doesn't apply to them simply because they don't agree with it? I've never heard anyone assert that.

Sounds like jakenbacon thinks such...

not follow those who know nothing about what they implement as law, and take the risk's so that we can live the life we each choose for ourselves? I choose not to be suppressed by the few who seem to pass funny laws.

Who pays their salary is irrelevant.

Where was that little gem posted? I've always loved how one stupid comment from a poster claiming to be a law enforcement officer (I'm pretty sure Squirelly is/was only an Air Force security officer) brings out retarded comments from civilians. It makes the more unappealing aspects of my job so much easier, because I know that the person who just bought themselves a real bad day secretly wishes I was dead anyway and most of the time lacks the balls to say it to my face. ;)

PS... the "I pay your salary" crap is nonsense nowadays. We're those horrible overpaid civil servants who make more than private workers, right? Well then I'm paying more of my own salary than you are!

C-Rider said:
Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

Nope. But only because its illegal. In some states, it is legal for an underage child to drink under the supervision of parent or guardian, but not here.

Was blessed with the chance to take my 18 yr old with me on a business trip to Germany a few months ago and we made the most of it. The trip culminated with a liter of festbier in the Schwaben Bräu beer tent at the Folksfest in Bad Canstadt near Stuttgart. Perfect!

Something we are very careful about (with three teenage boys in a house with a minimum of 20 gallons of beer in it at any given time) is no drinking and driving. Zero. Not even one beer.

My dad let me have a sip of beer when I was maybe 7 or so. I hated the taste and didn't touch beer again until I was 15. Still didn't really drink beer until I acquired the taste in my 20s.

Oh, my, this thread has gone on a long, long time. I think it's a commentary on our times that so much is argued between the letter and the spirit of the laws. This question is clearly discretionary on the part of the parent.

OTOH, we were afforded the occasional sip from Dad's beer when growing up, so I come from that sort of background.

The best comment here is probably about the laws themselves, from one of those old dead guys:

The laws keep up their credit, not by being just, but because
they are laws; 'tis the mystic foundation of their authority; they
have no other, and it well answers their purpose. They are often
made by fools; still oftener by men who, out of hatred to equality,
fail in equity; but always by men, vain and irresolute authors.

- Michel de Montaigne (1533-1592)

Choosing not to obey a law that you think is wrong is not the same as thinking you're above the law---that means thinking you should be able to break the law without risk of punishment.

my boys are 5 & 2, so no. my 5 y/o got a hold of my Bourbon Imp Stout when he was about 3 & spit what little taste he had all over the floor. he stays clear of all my beers since then. hahaha!

Billy-Klubb said:
my boys are 5 & 2, so no. my 5 y/o got a hold of my Bourbon Imp Stout when he was about 3 & spit what little taste he had all over the floor. he stays clear of all my beers since then. hahaha!

Haha. If it was me I that stout would have been gone in an instant. Don't worry he'll eventually like beers!

For the record, since I didn't comment on my thoughts about giving beer to ones children, I don't have kids so it's in some regards it a bit remiss for me to comment.

Growing up I occasionally got a drink or two from dad's or uncle's beer, but they never gave me enough to get tipsy/drunk, nor did they ever facilitate me or my brothers getting tipsy/drunk at home. I'm of that same mindset. A drink here and there see what the flavor is or whatever, no biggie, give my kids enough alcohol to get tipsy/drunk? Nah...don't think so.

Latest posts

Back