Do you use teflon tape?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter840

Reaction score
So I'm putting together my keg system and taps right now and I see a lot of fittings are metal on metal. I've always used Teflon tape (plumbers tape) in such instances, but wanted to see what everyone on here does before I go putting Teflon tape on all my threads.

I use teflon tape or even the 2xteflon gas tape without ill effect. You could wind it half way up the threading, so there's less contact in the kettle, if you have concerns. I read, though, that the teflon tape has temp ratings of around 400*. Also, you could use a SS brush to remove exposed tape...

I didn't use teflon tape on mine. The only metal on metal fittings I have are where the shank meets the faucet and where the co2 tank meets the regulator. Both rely on rubber seals on the inside to make them airtight rather than the threaded part of the metal. Not that it would hurt anything to use it, but I do not an have not had any problems.

One point to note. In the case of the connection of your regulator to your tank; I've never put teflon tape on anything I planned on taking apart later. It may not hurt anything but you're going to have to replace your co2 from time to time, I'd hate to see your regulator threads get gummed up with old teflon tape.

My highly advanced system: If it leaks, it gets tape.

PS - listen to Bobby, not me.

The only place I use tape is on the regualtor...everything else should have some sort of seal. Like Bobby said, only use tape on NPT, everything else should have a seal associated with it.

Back