Quantcast

Do you trust Fermometer?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

andreiz

Reaction score
In short, do you trust the temp it's showing given that it's not measuring the beer temperature directly? I've heard there can be a difference of a few degrees between what Fermometer is showing and the actual temp.

McKBrew

Reaction score
It's not going to give you a true indication of fermentation temperature, but it will show a higher temperature than ambient during strong fermentation. The only true way to know actual fermentation temp is a direct probe into the primary.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
Every time I have tested them they have been withing 1 degree of the actual wort.

desertbronze

Reaction score
I usually compare the readings when I take hydro samples. Usually within one degree of the thermometer. Close enough for monitoring fermentation temps.

McKBrew

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I've never actually taken an internal wort temp so what do I know. I just based what I saw on the fact that my fermentation fridge is set for a certain temp and the fermometer is always a few degrees higher during active ferment. Guess I was closer to true fermentation temp than I thought.

rocketman768

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I trust. I have been starting my brews off colder than the fermentation range of the yeast, and when the fermometer warms to the low-end temp for the yeast is when I start to see a few bubbles and a tiny krausen.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It's "close enough" for me to be happy. I've found that is usually within a degree or so when I've tested it so I stopped testing it. I mean, if the fermometer says "66", even if it's wrong by two degrees either way that's fine.

Reaction score
There's going to be a 1 degree difference in temperature somewhere within the wort itself during the slower phases of fermentation when there is less circulation.

Sigafoos

Reaction score
I should probably use some of these... my first extract kit came with one that didn't work, but maybe that was because I had submerged it in water. I wrote them all off as crap and never tried again.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I never expected so many posts claiming 1 degree off. I may have to buy some and use them. I always figured they would never be that accurate.

JVD_X

Reaction score
It's "close enough" for me to be happy. I've found that is usually within a degree or so when I've tested it so I stopped testing it. I mean, if the fermometer says "66", even if it's wrong by two degrees either way that's fine.
I completely agree with Yooper.

I use them for "at a glance" or a "Yep - that looks about right". I have been using them for 15 years (still use my original glass fermenter) and find them to be quite reliable. Just be sure they are not in direct sunlight.

springer

Reaction score
I don't use one because every one (except lagers) of my beers goes into a 30 gallon swamp cooler and I keep tabs on the water ° so if 8-10 gallons a water are at 64° then the beer will be very very close.

Whisler85

Reaction score
i think they still work after being wet, too

they look a different color, but usually you can still tell what it is trying to read

sjtkach

Reaction score
A bit of help here from Tkach Enerteprises - makers of the Fermometer.

Product information can be found at:

Products

The product is water resistant, not water proof. Don not submerge for extended time periods (hours). Do not leave in direct sun for extended time periods.

The temperature it reads is very close to the wort temperature as described in the above link. It will always be warmer then ambient temperature because of the heat created by fermentation.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
I trust it, at least to gauge the difference between fermentation and still temperatures.

However, it seems like it's pretty frackin' accurate. When the thermostat is on 68F and it's been there for a while, my fermometer straight up reads 68F. 71-73F during fermentation, depending on style and yeast strain.

weirdboy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I keep my fermenter in a water bath now and the temp is usually very close to the surrounding water temp, so I can just sample with my thermapen. However, I also have an aquarium probe thermometer that cost me about $8 that I can (and do) drop directly into the fermenter to monitor temps.