Do you prefer LME or DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
Ive got about 10 brewes or so under my belt and ive done beers with LME, DME, and with steeping grains. the beers are getting better each time as i refine my process, but the last couple i did were with DME only and steeping grains. I like using DME better since it is easier to handle, LME may not be fresh, and DME beers will be lighter in color compared to LME.

getting all the LME out of the packaging is a pain where DME i can dump it right in. As far as beer taste, is one better than the other or does it really not matter.

LME for the price.

DME for the convenience, (either for starters or for cases where I need more or less than the 6 lb/jug or 3.1 lb/jug LME portions)

I have no definitive answer on taste...but I do think LME is just as easy to get out of the "packaging"....I don't even preheat my LME, just dump it in and then dunk the jug for a second into the hot wert/water, swish, and dump again. In fact, I find it easier than adding DME because I don't have to worry about DME "balls".

DME stores better and is better for weighing out odd amounts.

With that said, I prefer LME for its ease of use.

Also, I still have nightmares of a large ball of DME jumping out of the pot and attacking me!:eek:

DME all the way. You've already built yourself a nice list of pros for it, add to that list that extract twang is diminished in DME use vs LME.

I've been brewing about 2 1/2 years now. Did extract and steeping grains for the first 9 months and partial mash/AG since then. Only used LME for the first month. The ease of using a portion and storing the rest definately contributed. The better color control and cleaner taste were also very influencing. I find that the benefits for myself outweigh the small price difference.

I prefer LME since AHS is only 15 minutes away.They sell so much i know its fresh.

I haven't used DME since my second or third batch since the LME seemed so much easier.

The DME kept clumping up, and it got all sticky in the bag as I poured it in because of the steam.

LME for me! :ban:

Back when i was using extract, i found that it was difficult to find fresh liquid extract and my beers using DME always turned out better than when i used liquid.

Also you don't have to worry about scorching DME as it floats.

Gentlemen,

This is my 17th brewing year.
Thank you...
I started out with LME then evolved to DME,
like pretty much every one else.
I prefer DME except for the 33 pound containers the LME came in.
Perfect poultry watering containers they are,
and I wish I had a couple of dozen.
Even thought about using DME just for that purpose.

{See them on the last page of my web site}
{ in the back of the 'Show Coop'}

Luck and Later...

J. Winters von Knife
http://jacksknifeshop.tripod.com/

I like DME better. Easier to handle and store. I also like the fact that I can easliy mix different DMEs in my brew.

DME for sure. First its easier to store in bulk, easier to measure, and I think it mixes in easier during the boil. Along with that it doesn't darken the beer nearly as much either.

I think from an ease of use standpoint, DME all the way, why wouldn't you?

But my logical side kicks in and reminds me how re-hydrated milk tastes compared to real milk. So for me I try to use fresh LME for pretty much that reason alone, although I still use DME for starters.

I put the LME in the sink and fill it with hot water to warm up while my brew water is boiling. This gets most of the LME out. I then microwave another cup of water till steamy, pour it into the LME bottle, swish it around, and pour out every last drop of LME. Easy enough. :D

Pez.

I also put the LME bottle in a hot water bath prior to pouring it into the boil kettle. I then use a set of tongs and dunk the mostly empty bottle into the kettle to fill it, pour it out, and repeat until the bottle is empty. It usually takes two dunks.

I use some tongs and dip the LME container into the brew kettle until the LME is gone. I prefer LME but only because it's that much cheaper at my LHBS. I just can't justify the cost of DME, especially since I generally make starters out of the wort I just brewed.

I always use DME, although it sucks when you reach the last part of the bag (I get 25 kilograms bags) I think that when you use LME is much easier to ¿scarcht? (Sorry, I don't speak English) the last part os the bulk.

Since I can get DME in a wider range of quantity, I use it. Easier to mix n match.

Clumping in the bag isn't a problem if you scoop or pour it out into a measuring cup first.

Either product will go to the bottom of your pot and may burn if not stirred in a little at a time.

I think DME tastes better. Both in the beer and right out the container.

I like LME because it's easier to pour into the brew pot. I find that the bags DME comes in can be a little clumsy (but that's just me). But i find that DME is easier to store, which is helpful when buying in bulk. and it's also easier to measure odd amounts (+1)

so i guess in general i like both.

DME has always been a bit easier for me to use. As long as you don't just dump it all in at once you shouldn't have clumping problems.

Back