Do you like your refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Refractometer? I just purchased a Vee Gee BTX-1 from More Beer. I read through the info but wanted to get a few comments on the ease of use, methods of use and weather or not you think there better than a hydrometer? I have always used a hydrometer, but thought the idea of not having to take such a big sample to find an OG or FG was a big + and the auto temp thing was way too cool to pass up.;) Let me know your thoughts.
Cheers, Gabe

I use my refractometer exclusively for taking OG readings. The alcohol can throw off the readings if you're using it post fermentation. I use a hydrometer for that since I usually want to taste the sample at that point anyway.

For OG readings:
1. They are quick, (no need to cool down).
2. The samples are very small, (compared to about a pint for the hydrometer sample).
3. My experience is that the OG readings are just as accurate as the hydrometer readings.

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

For OG readings:
1. They are quick, (no need to cool down).
2. The samples are very small, (compared to about a pint for the hydrometer sample).
3. My experience is that the OG readings are just as accurate as the hydrometer readings.

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

Ditto. Probably the easiest/best way to monitor OG, if you feel like spending the extra cash.

Speaking of Refractometers and More Beer, take a look at this vid and spreadsheet they have on refractometer use:
http://morebeer.com/learn_vids/vids_refract
I've tried this multiple times and get agreement not only on OG measurements, but FG measurements using the refractometer and the hydrometer. The measurements agree well enough, I'm about to put my hydrometer in a drawer and never use it again.

Just don't automatically place complete faith in the FG readings even when using those calculators/spreadsheets. So far I have NOT found the FG values to agree with the hydrometer even when using various calculators. Be your own judge.

I still think the refractometer is great for monitoring fermentation progress - you don't need to do any calculations if you're comparing day-to-day brix values to see if fermentation has stopped. However, even so, mine still gathers dust because using my hydrometer with a wine thief (both of which I simply store in my spare keg of starsan) is even easier.

Speaking of Refractometers and More Beer, take a look at this vid and spreadsheet they have on refractometer use:
http://morebeer.com/learn_vids/vids_refract
I've tried this multiple times and get agreement not only on OG measurements, but FG measurements using the refractometer and the hydrometer. The measurements agree well enough, I'm about to put my hydrometer in a drawer and never use it again.

+1 on them agreeing. I only double check with the Hydrometer at bottling, but I don't know how long it will be before I quit double checking. It doesn't take that much time, and I like 2nd opinions.

Yeah, I'll keep checking for a while as well.

A patient has a sore throat and goes to a doctor to get treatment for it.

Doctor: Your tonsils gotta come out.

Patient: I wanna second opinion.

Doctor: Okay, you're ugly, too.

But can you taste your sample to get an idea of what the product is doing?
Or am I a weirdo for dumping from my hydrometer tube into my mouth after taking a reading?
Don't answer that.

I only use my hydrometer when brewing to check the OG. Many times faster and to me the variation is not enought to worry.

But can you taste your sample to get an idea of what the product is doing?
Or am I a weirdo for dumping from my hydrometer tube into my mouth after taking a reading?
Don't answer that.

I absolutely taste the sample. A habit from working in the wine biz - most winemakers will claim that its the only true way to figure out what's going on. While I'd love to be able to claim I'm skilled enough to figure stuff out from tasting, I'm mostly just curious about what it tastes like, I'm going to throw it out anyway and I know it isn't going to kill me...

Back