Do you have any "base beers" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbaillargeon

Reaction score
I was wondering, since I want to improve on technique and get a consistent taste, I have been doing a only few recipes in the last two years.

An APA
An ESB
A Quebec styled Belgian
A spicy scotch ale
A Brown Mild
An Oatmeal Stout

I have done each at least 2-3 times already, just to get great finish with finings and of course like a said a repeatable tastes.

What about you guys, is it always the same few beers or is variation your motto? :tank:

I guess my house IPA would be considered a "base" beer for IPAs......It is Eschatz's Two Hearted Ale clone recipe, but due to hop availability and shortages over the years of brewing it, the hop bill changes, while the grain stays the same.

Now are you really talking about "house" beers, beers we brew over and over with no changing, but have in regular rotation? I have quite a few that I brew repeatedly. They're pretty well known on here, having been brewed by many folks, my Belgian Blonde, Kentucky Common, and Vienna Lager are 3 beers, along with my IPA, that will get brewed several times a year...but I don't change the recipe.

TO me a "base" beer is like the IPA a grainbill that stays the same and other things are added to it. For example some folks use my Belgian blonde and a base beer, they add fruit to it, or honey to it, to make various different beers from the same base grain and hop bill.

That's the pattern I've been developing since I was a few beers in. I have an AE & a PM recipe for the malt part that can be PA,APA or IPA depending on the hop profile. Seemed logical to me.

Latest posts

Back