Do you have an accent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are NY accents. Northern NJ has some NY accents and southern NJ has some Philly accents. I have none...

Most of Northern NJ has a very light NY accent but I think the Italian Americans in the area are the exaggerated version of it (Sopranos... as an aside, people hardly believe anyone is from NJ anymore if we don't talk like that). There's a strangely isolated exception and that's Jersey City. It's a Jewish thing like Meyer's Linda Richmond on Cawfee Tawk. I think it's a little Boston too like my mother in law tried telling the name of a guy... "Karl". It came out "Kol".

It seems like anywhere South of Princeton has the Philly thing going on. The words Hogie and Home sound more like Hyogie and Hyome.

Where do I fall? I don't know, watch a video of mine and you tell me.

Hands down you know who has the funnies accent I have ever heard? The Amish! I mean damn they talk funny, and guess what, on the internet you can make fun of them all you want, they will never find out!

I'm from Michigan, so of course I have an accent. It's funny how everyone in MI thinks they don't have an accent, but they do!

Wow.... For some reason that was really funny too me.

You know why it is funny, because the Amish have a really stupid accent. That and they still drive horses around, if you ever get a chance have a conversation with an Amish person, but try not to laugh.

I was born in Texas, but am an army brat and lived everywhere. When we were stationed in Germany and I started 1st grade, my accent was so thick I was put in Special Ed cuz the New Jersey teacher thought I was, um, special. Had to take an IQ test, then I was put in the TAG program, and speech therapy.

I don't have too much of an accent now, unless I go to the family farm for a week or more, or get reaaalllly drunk. If I am out of state, people notice.

I don't have to travel very far. In Ohio there are three (identifiable by me) accents/speech patterns. In the Southeast and South clearly Appalachian. In the Central and some Southwestern we sound fairly Middle American. Then there is the farther North which is the Yankee influence of the Western Reserve mixed with the all the immigrants in Cleveland.

Traveling North or South, I kind sound out of place.

You know why it is funny, because the Amish have a really stupid accent. That and they still drive horses around, if you ever get a chance have a conversation with an Amish person, but try not to laugh.

Having known several Amish, I HAVE had many conversations with them. Most speak German among themselves. Once in a while they will "toy" with the "English" as we are known.

I don't find their lifestyle or their speech patterns all that "funny." But neither do I think I am above them. :rolleyes:

I'm from a part of VA that has a noticible drawl to anyone from northeast of there. It's sort of a North Carolina accent moreso than a VA one considering the proximity to the border. Even people from the same county sometimes asked if I was from somewhere further south since a lot of the idiomatic phrases I used were archaic (as I spent much of my time with my grandma). Since then it has worn off a lot, considering a lot of people I know are from NJ, and my wife is from MA.

My accent would come back in full force whenever I visited home, a little around my dad but just full-on when talking to my grandma back when she was still alive. I didn't notice it myself, but my now-wife certainly did.

Being in the Navy was an awful confusing mess of accents. Working with guys from NC, TX, MI, NY, AL, MT, MN, and myself from CA, resulted in some pretty strange mixed accents, and really confusing conversations.

You think that is bad. My coworkers are Indian, Chinese, British, Vietnamese, Pakistani, Russian, Mid Eastern plus a few Mid Western Americans. Did you know Northern and Southern Indians speak a different language and speak English with a different accent?

Though given all of that I still have a harder time understanding our British customers than most of my coworkers.

I think the mid west and west coast has the least accent. However I know northern Michigan and Southern Ohio both have their own accents and we always like to kid about the Yinzers in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area, even though I am a Steelers fan. So no I do not think I have much of an accent.

From my experience in NewEngland, western mass does not have a strong accent while those that live in Boston come on real heavy, and northern NE is a different accent also.
The rural southern accent seems to be very easy to adopt. My sister started talking like a native within a year of moving down there.

Craig

Us midwesterners are the only ones with no accent. All you other guys talk with crazy outlandish tones and pronunciations. Doncha know, eh. ;)

Ain't it the truth, eh??? We don't talk funny, the rest of youse do! And we don't have no colloquialisms, neither!

Um, I'm thirsty, where's the bubbler???;)

I'm from Chicago. The Chicago "accent" is taught to newscasters around the country because it is clear and understandable.

So no, I don't have an accent. The rest of you do!!!!!

Anyway, I spent 4 years will rednecks from southern indiana and I git along just find down there. I definitely enjoy picking up things from different locales. I've incorporated Y'all (southern redneck), yo (new york), fixin (southern redneck), etc into my speech just to confuse people.

I probably have a french accent. But not a France type french accent. I live in Quebec and we don't speak the same way as the people in France. It could propably be compared to the USA english and the UK english.

When we went on vacation in FLA this May, people were thinking we came from Germany when SWMBO and I talked french.

While I do NOT have an accent, almost everyone thought I was Canadian.

Oh ya? Ya, sure, you betcha! ;)

I grew up in Maryland (Merlin), spent much of my time just outside of Baltimore (Balmer). My wife grew up in Michigan. I don't hear her "accent" anymore but my friends do; likewise, when we go to Michigan I get ripped on for saying UMbrella and soda instead of pop. :drunk:

Wanna beer dere hon? :D

Having known several Amish, I HAVE had many conversations with them. Most speak German among themselves. Once in a while they will "toy" with the "English" as we are known.

I don't find their lifestyle or their speech patterns all that "funny." But neither do I think I am above them. :rolleyes:

+1. I have a great deal of respect for the Amish. I used an Amish framing crew on a couple houses I built. Best subcontractors I ever had... no loud music, no attitudes, on time, consciencious, and a great work ethic.

I always wanted to pull up to the jobsite blasting Wierd Al... "I churn butter once or twice, livin' in an Amish Paradise!"... but I never had the guts:cross:

I never thought I had an accent at all until I traveled the US for work. Customers would ask me where in Canada I was from, and it kind of threw me off. Now I just accept and enjoy it ;)

I am a born and raised floridian. My wife has been telling me the older I get the more I sound like a redneck. When I first met her family up in NJ about 13 years ago they thought I was retarded because I talked so slow (relatively).

I've worked in call centers for many years and talked to a great many people. Something I've noticed with speech and this land of ours, is that there's two epicenters of fast talking; southern california and NYC. (especially NYC) Those people talk very fast and if you pause for a moment on the phone they start saying 'hello?hello?' like you had immediately hung up. The further you get away from those places the slower people talk. The slowest talkers IMO are people in the South, which some people incorrectly assume means they're feeble.

One hilarious story I had involved my last job with helpdesk at a grocery store chain. There was a British lass that had emigrated to Ohio and was calling in some broken machinery and had a huge laundry list. She blurts out "here I am, brain the size of a planet, working in a grocery store" I literally lol'd until my sides hurt.

Yes,
But it's nothing anyone will ever expect or identify. I basically made my own, and I just let people guess what it is. No one ever comes close.

Everyone's got an accent compared to somewhere else. even midwesterners have an accent when they go to England.
100% true.

People will unconsciously pick up accents/inflections on words over time. Then presto you are assimilated into the local population.

I lost my metro-Detroit accent years ago, but it will come out sometimes during phone conversations or trips back to MI.

I think the younger you are, the easier it is to pick up an accent.

You think that is bad. My coworkers are Indian, Chinese, British, Vietnamese, Pakistani, Russian, Mid Eastern plus a few Mid Western Americans. Did you know Northern and Southern Indians speak a different language and speak English with a different accent?

Though given all of that I still have a harder time understanding our British customers than most of my coworkers.

I think the mid west and west coast has the least accent. However I know northern Michigan and Southern Ohio both have their own accents and we always like to kid about the Yinzers in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area, even though I am a Steelers fan. So no I do not think I have much of an accent.

From my experience in NewEngland, western mass does not have a strong accent while those that live in Boston come on real heavy, and northern NE is a different accent also.
The rural southern accent seems to be very easy to adopt. My sister started talking like a native within a year of moving down there.

Craig

I too work with a lot of people from all over the world (Engineering go figure.). Great people, but they really mess up my pronunciation especially on more difficult words. My wife thinks I'm losing my skill to talk.

I have about the same situation, but you can add French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, and I can't think of what all else. I also regularly have calls with people in U.K., France, Germany, India, and Israel. Some of them are native to those areas, some are not. There are accents bouncing around all over the place around here, so everyone just learns how to roll with it.

I have a fairly strong Southeast Texas accent with a good dose of Cajun from growing up around so many. No one can give me grief about it, though, since the company has "Texas" in it's name. :rockin:

TL

I have about the same situation, but you can add French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, and I can't think of what all else. I also regularly have calls with people in U.K., France, Germany, India, and Israel. Some of them are native to those areas, some are not. There are accents bouncing around all over the place around here, so everyone just learns how to roll with it.

Everyone else at my work is Chinese, except one Mexican guy, and none of them speak english well. Calling it an accent is an understatement for most of them.

Growing up in a community with a large Amish minority I'm quite familiar with their accent and have to agree with you on most points. However in the Middlefield community they call us non Amish Yankees. Amish that leave the way of life they call Yanking over.

It is interesting that the different Amish communities are quite different from one another. The variations can be quite distinct. In Middlefield the agrarian dairies have transitioned into labor in manufacturing and construction. The farms that are left are moving to vegetables. In that community they will not use bicycles but push scooters are popular among the kids. In Holmes county Ohio furniture manufacturing has been added to the traditional dairy industry and bicycling is a very common way of transportation.

Never did find the accent "funny"

Craig

That's because they still speak a version of Dutch/German amongst themselves.

I lived among the Amish in Sugarcreek, OH for a while. Surrounded by them, they were the best neighbors we have ever had, bar none. No loud parties, no loud stereos, no loud cars, etc. Ole Eli loved my homebrew too! Gee--ma-nee! You have not been to a picnic till you been to an Amish picnic.

Great people and they are not bitchin about gas prices or electricity bills. :D

Ayxint? Whutsan ayxint?

Ow! Ur asskin' do ah tawk foony. Whu haaale noh I down tawk foony. Eets awe dim furryners dat tawk foony.

Haw! Ayxint.

NA-oouu I ain't much fer them fancy pants big city werds.... but I fig-ure I has one of them there different ways of sayings things

Both parents are from the upper midwest and I was raised in Georgia, I can lay a on accents with the best of them, confuses people. :D

I don't have an accent - everyone else does.

I'm married to a Filipina and I say, "What?" about a hundred times a day.

I have a Melayu wife and I so understand this.

When I am not scratching my head at some of the things she does I am usually debating with myself whether I really want to know what she just said.

Just yesterday she was asking if I moved the "bins" and got really mad at me cause I had no idea what fecking "beans" she was talking about. It worked out for me tho' and I never had to figure out what bin she was looking for, but I did find the beans. They were delicious.

NA-oouu I ain't much fer them fancy pants big city werds.... but I fig-ure I has one of them there different ways of sayings things

Nice job dredging up this 3.5 year old zombie thread!

I'm from southern Indiana, so I had a little bit of a southern Indiana/northern Kentucky accent, but lost it when I went to college. I have a pretty normal, nondescript Midwestern dialect now. I don't think people can tell where I"m from at all based on accent

I have a difficult time placing certain accents- much of the south sounds identical to my ear, and most of the midwest as well (with the exception to the really strange ones, like Minnesota...), but no problem at all reflecting them back to the speaker, involuntarily.
Probably has something to do with speech therapy as a child, to wipe out a few impediments I had (which are now undetectable, until I relax too much)
It's been a double-edged sword, as I tend to blend in, but a long conversation with one person sometimes gives me away, as the accent creeps in over the conversation. I was talking to a guy from Arkansas at one point at work, and I think he found it rather unnerving when I said I'd never even been there.
My mother has a very light Ohio accent, would make a good broadcaster if she spoke a bit more rapidly. My dad has an upper NJ accent dulled by years of living in the Baltimore/DC metro area- but the rapid fire tempo is still there. I suppose my default accent is somewhere in between, and I'm most comfortable with speaking quickly.

Back