Do you have a problem with authority?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all. I understand the need for it and my need to comply. I also understand me need to stand up and say "That's not right, and I won't do that.".

Not per se, but what gets my goat is when someone has it that doesn't deserve it, or abuses it because they have it.

Not at all. I understand the need for it and my need to comply. I also understand me need to stand up and say "That's not right, and I won't do that.".

Isn't all authority artificial in the sense that it's not timeless?

I don't have a problem with authority. Authority has a problem with me.

Seriously though, the only problem with authority I have is the petty tyrant bureaucratic BS in my office. I make it my life's work to piss those people off.

Like the office manager who balked at spending the extra $16 on a hard hat to protect from lateral impacts. My email response simply read "Are you and the company willing to accept the liability for lateral brain injuries?"

Ok. Here's where I stand:

Be a good citizen. All governments are under God. Insofar as there is peace and order, it's God’s order. So live responsibly as a citizen. If you're irresponsible to the state, then you're irresponsible with God, and God will hold you responsible. Duly constituted authorities are only a threat if you're trying to get by with something. Decent citizens should have nothing to fear.

Do you want to be on good terms with the government? Be a responsible citizen and you'll get on just fine, the government working to your advantage. But if you're breaking the rules right and left, watch out. The police aren't there just to be admired in their uniforms. God also has an interest in keeping order, and he uses them to do it. That’s why you must live responsibly—not just to avoid punishment but also because it's the right way to live.

That's also why you pay taxes—so that an orderly way of life can be maintained. Fulfill your obligations as a citizen. Pay your taxes, pay your bills, respect your leaders.

--Romans 13:1-7, The Message

Ok. Here's where I stand:

Be a good citizen. All governments are under God. Insofar as there is peace and order, it's God’s order. So live responsibly as a citizen. If you're irresponsible to the state, then you're irresponsible with God, and God will hold you responsible. Duly constituted authorities are only a threat if you're trying to get by with something. Decent citizens should have nothing to fear.

Do you want to be on good terms with the government? Be a responsible citizen and you'll get on just fine, the government working to your advantage. But if you're breaking the rules right and left, watch out. The police aren't there just to be admired in their uniforms. God also has an interest in keeping order, and he uses them to do it. That’s why you must live responsibly—not just to avoid punishment but also because it's the right way to live.

That's also why you pay taxes—so that an orderly way of life can be maintained. Fulfill your obligations as a citizen. Pay your taxes, pay your bills, respect your leaders.

--Romans 13:1-7, The Message

And what do you do when that authority fails you?

And what do you do when that authority fails you?

God's authority hasn't and won't, so not applicable there.

God's appointed authority (i.e., human gov't, leaders, etc) has and will continue to "fail" i.e., fall short...and in that case it's appropriate to a) choose to submit anyway, b) hold the authority accountable, c) replace the authority, or d) rebel and deal with the consequences; depending on the circumstances.

I have a problem with pretty much everyone for one reason or another. Why should "authority" be any different ;)

Seriously, though, from school through college through 40 years of working for various Other People's Companies, I can name only three authority figures - real or abstracted - that I still hold in high regard. The rest were all effwits, useless at the minimum and outright company killers in their full glory...

Cheers!

God's authority hasn't and won't, so not applicable there.

God's appointed authority (i.e., human gov't, leaders, etc) has and will continue to "fail" i.e., fall short...and in that case it's appropriate to a) choose to submit anyway, b) hold the authority accountable, c) replace the authority, or d) rebel and deal with the consequences; depending on the circumstances.

Have you never had a problem with (i.e. negative feelings, emotions, actions toward) a Parent, Teacher, Cop, Military Rank, Boss, Co-Worker, Forum Moderator, Random Person, etc... using their authority on you in either a negative or positive fashion?

Have you never had a problem with (i.e. negative feelings, emotions, actions toward) a Parent, Teacher, Cop, Military Rank, Boss, Co-Worker, Forum Moderator, Random Person, etc... using their authority on you in either a negative or positive fashion?

Of course I have. We all have. And my response usually falls within the four categories I listed previously, depending on the situation.

What is your purpose in asking?

I was also wondering. The question reads with a slant.

To establish a conversation with regard to authority.

How do you view authority would be a neutral question.

I enjoy my right to be governed. I take pride in managing the things I am responsible for and admire people who manage their responsibilities to make mine possible. We should all serve one another.

Is there really anybody who isnt under some sort of authority? Maybe tyrants or Somalian pirates, but that is about the smallest group of people out there

Of course I have. We all have. And my response usually falls within the four categories I listed previously, depending on the situation.

The question isn't about your response, but why do you feel negatively about someone exercising their authority over you to begin with?

Is there really anybody who isnt under some sort of authority? Maybe tyrants or Somalian pirates, but that is about the smallest group of people out there

The question isn't who's under authority, it's why do you feel the need to disobey/challenge/rebel against the authority you are under?

I was also wondering. The question reads with a slant.

How do you view authority would be a neutral question.

I enjoy my right to be governed. I take pride in managing the things I am responsible for and admire people who manage their responsibilities to make mine possible. We should all serve one another.

The question is fairly straight forward. Why do you question authority?

There must have been a time in your life when you questioned authority. Why? What makes you do that even if the authority is right or wrong.

Of course, if you've never questioned authority then please share your secret.

The question isn't who's under authority, it's why do you feel the need to disobey/challenge/rebel against the authority you are under?

IS this a college essay question you are trying to get ideas for cuz this seems weird to me. You keep dodging answering your own question

I had a Lance Coporal that was a bit of a problem child. I was talking to him about his difficulty dealing with authority, particularly mine.

He said "I'm tired of people telling me what to do, I joined the Marines to get away from that!"

He was sober and absolutely serious. It still cracks me up.

Let's hear your thoughts.

My experience is with the Christian religion which explains these things through the story of Adam and Eve and "out of the heart comes all evil".

Yes, my name is ShootsNRoots and I have a problem with authority because my heart is evil. I rebel but the authorities keep me down.

(Dear HBT authorities, please don't move this to the Debate Forum. It's really not about religion.)

My experience is with the Christian religion which explains these things through the story of Adam and Eve and "out of the heart comes all evil".

Yes, my name is ShootsNRoots and I have a problem with authority because my heart is evil. I rebel but the authorities keep me down.

(Dear HBT authorities, please don't move this to the Debate Forum. It's really not about religion.)

We have a very strongly worded stance on religion in the forums. If it's not about religion (which it has danced around the entire time), what IS it about?

I had a Lance Coporal that was a bit of a problem child. I was talking to him about his difficulty dealing with authority, particularly mine.

He said "I'm tired of people telling me what to do, I joined the Marines to get away from that!"

He was sober and absolutely serious. It still cracks me up.

Ahh yes. I remember those days.

My question is what was causing this Lance Corporal to do that? A personality disorder? An evil heart? Stupidity?

It wants to go there, doesn't it. I'll delete before I move it.

One thing to consider: if you go in someone else's house, and they tell you not to smoke, are you offended by their authority? Consider that there are domains where you have freedoms, and domains where you don't.

Ahh yes. I remember those days.

My question is what was causing this Lance Corporal to do that? A personality disorder? An evil heart? Stupidity?

I was a section chief in the MC and I had a lance the same way. He was just a hard charger, and a bit of a controller. He's probably a warrant officer by now. He was an excellent marine though, I'll say that. Born leaders move up quickly, and not without some friction.

It wants to go there, doesn't it. I'll delete before I move it.

One thing to consider: if you go in someone else's house, and they tell you not to smoke, are you offended by their authority? Consider that there are domains where you have freedoms, and domains where you don't.

Relax. Your authority has produced pride. Are you not the one who asked "Let's hear your thoughts?"

What about the classic red light in the middle of nowhere. Would you obey the authority of the red light? What would cause you to go through it? What if a cop were at the intersection?

Relax. Your authority has produced pride. Are you not the one who asked "Let's hear your thoughts?"

What about the classic red light in the middle of nowhere. Would you obey the authority of the red light? What would cause you to go through it? What if a cop were at the intersection?

I'm relaxed (?). I'd go through the light if there was no cop.

Why? Whaddya mean "Why?" You want me to tell you why?

Don't tell me what to do, man! ;)

passedpawn said:
I mean't I'll delete religious-based posts before I move the thread. I like the subject.

Thats the kind of authority I can get behind rebelling against.

Back