Do you have a beard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man of the beard?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Now, as I said earlier, I'm no beard fanatic, and I don't feel it makes a man more manly or whatever.

Anyways, a few weeks ago, I made a terrible etiquette faux pas. A lad of 20 looked at my beard and said it must be great to be able to grow a proper beard. He told me that he was growing one himself. Totally forgetting about what an important issue it is to some young men, I put on my seeing glasses, moved a bit closer, moved yet closer to his chin until I was about 2 feet away, and then exclaimed 'Oh yes! There it is!"

He seemed to see the funny side, but I was totally embarrassed by my lack of sensitivity! It's only hair after all!!

Mine starts to look even and good day 1-4 and all hell breaks loose. it doesnt fill in very well after that and I have to shave it!

Just start trimming it. It will probably eventually even out, and look better if it is all generally the same length.

LGI, at least you didn't do what my father did to me in that first facial hair stage in my life. He looked close saying "growing a beard?" reached in and pretended to pluck a single hair from my chin and shouted "Got it!"

I can't because my job could require a respirator. I have an interview for a training position on Friday. Perks would include facial hair freedom!

I can't because my job could require a respirator.
I had to shave Sunday because there was about a 1 in one million chance that I would have to put on a respirator. My old logic that if we hit H2S I'm gonna run and not come back didn't satisfy the safety guy on location. So even though 99% of the time I work in the office there are still times I have to shave.

I can't because my job could require a respirator. I have an interview for a training position on Friday. Perks would include facial hair freedom!

Interviewer: And where do you see yourself in five years time?

You: In my yard, drinking a homebrew and stroking my beard thoughtfully. :mug:

I used to have a job that required the occasional wearing of a respirator. I usually had enough advance warning for shaving. I kept a drawer full of disposable razors for those occasions I didn't.

I'm growing a long beard for the first time. This is about 4 months of growth. The photo was taken yesterday..

IMG-20130716-00093.jpg

I'm growing a long beard for the first time. This is about 4 months of growth. The photo was taken yesterday..

Grey in a beard is full of awesome. I've had some grew for a few years now.....I dunno what anyone else thinks, but I do like some grey. It makes me look extinguished. :p

Oh yes. A VERY fine beard BTW!!

Grey in a beard is full of awesome. I've had some grew for a few years now.....I dunno what anyone else thinks, but I do like some grey. It makes me look extinguished. :p

HA! Thanks!

I agree about the grey. I never knew it actually had a pattern until I grew this beard.

People been trying to put you out? That fire extinguisher dust is nasty stuff.

Been wearing one since '82. I hate shaving; if I was a girl I would be like a bigfoot, could not shave & run around neked :) When I am between jobs it gets long. Longest has been 8". Most time trimmed to 1/2" as I work in office.

I stand corrected. Syphilis is obviously responsible for a LOT of beards! ;)......... Not mustaches though!!

That kinda explains the whole Amish thing then.

I can't stand the mustache. I tried it once.

It's a tricky decision if you don't want a full set. Go mustache-only like Freddie Mercury or go beard-only like Amos the Amish..........Just a few whiskers out of place can COMPLETELY alter some other people's expectations about you lifestyle! :cross:

Decision, decisions.....:)

I grew a "barba de vacaciones" in Mexico for a week and the did it again on a trip to New England. I somehow got amazing brewing inspiration when I had it ...

JonM said:
I grew a "barba de vacaciones" in Mexico for a week and the did it again on a trip to New England. I somehow got amazing brewing inspiration when I had it ...

There is a proven connection between facial hair and better brew.

I often go to the SciFi conventions as Roger Delgado's version of The Master. I have to create the hairline and color, but the facial hair is always modeled after him.

TheMaster2b.jpg

MaddBaggins said:
There is a proven connection between facial hair and better brew.

Seriously, in New England with my mini beard (after a pint or two of Allagash) "Whoah - I CAN brew a Berliner Weiss!"

Been rocking a beard or a goatee since I could grow one... it's odd that I can't grow a head of hair since 18, yet no other issues with an ability to grow hair, desired or not haha

View attachment 136367

And I'm being photobombed by a rabbit in my backyard haha

SupervisingChildren said:
Been rocking a beard or a goatee since I could grow one... it's odd that I can't grow a head of hair since 18, yet no other issues with an ability to grow hair, desired or not haha

And I'm being photobombed by a rabbit in my backyard haha

Right there with ya, man. In my teens and 20s, I ha tons of hair up top. Even grew it down to my shoulders in the early 90s grunge/Nirvana days.

Now I have a thick-as-heck beard but can't grow one b/c of work and not much left up top. *Sigh*

I have a soul patch. I used to have the full goatee, but I'm jn the respirator at work crowd. I am limited to a mustache or soul patch only. I tried the "movember" thing last year. Mustache itched like crazy.

They put a new beard policy in at work where it. Needs to be "short" haha. It's not zz top level so I consider it to be within the parameters. It's funny as it states non-bearded men must be clean shaven. Made the decision easy for me haha

I had to shave Sunday because there was about a 1 in one million chance that I would have to put on a respirator. My old logic that if we hit H2S I'm gonna run and not come back didn't satisfy the safety guy on location. So even though 99% of the time I work in the office there are still times I have to shave.

floccin' H2S is a PITA. when I was in Wyoming, we had to build a bunch of stainless plants & heat treated crap for high H2S locations.

why the hell don't I see any of you floccers with nice sized mutton chops?

and y'all best not hope that a beard makes you a better brewer. if I sprout a beard overnight, y'all best just hang up yer mash paddles. bwahahahahhaa!!!!

Is this the HBT Beard Club? SWMBO has been nagging me to trim back the hedges. She decided to cite awesome people without beards: Superman

I cited: Dumbledore, Obi Wan Kenobi, and Zach Galifianakis.

Had she come up with a rebuttal, I would have used Lincoln. Alas, she forfeited after Zach.

half_whit said:
Is this the HBT Beard Club? SWMBO has been nagging me to trim back the hedges. She decided to cite awesome people without beards: Superman

I cited: Dumbledore, Obi Wan Kenobi, and Zach Galifianakis.

Had she come up with a rebuttal, I would have used Lincoln. Alas, she forfeited after Zach.

Excellent! Besides, didn't the new superman sport a beard in part of the movie?
Don't forget Chuck Norris, Mr T and Grizzly Adams.
Almost forgot, The Most Interesting Man Alive sports a great beard.

Excellent! Besides, didn't the new superman sport a beard in part of the movie?
Don't forget Chuck Norris, Mr T and Grizzly Adams.
Almost forgot, The Most Interesting Man Alive sports a great beard.

EPIC. It's actually turned into an amusing facebook war between her and myself. After I cited those people, she said "You do realize I'd never date any of the people you listed." I posted a picture of Matthew Bomer with a beard. :drops mic on stage:

I'm currently growing one till swmbo disagrees with the choice. I'm only on day 3 so I just have a shadow all over my head (I'm mr clean bald by choice).

I bought kegging equipment and since I feel like a brewmaster I need to look the part!

Back