Do you have a beard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man of the beard?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Beards are less common here in Texas because it's so damn hot but I've noticed a large portion of home brewers I meet have full beards.

So ..........

Do you currently have a beard?

Not talking about stuble, talking full ZZ Topish beard.

When I grow a beard it looks like a certain other type of bodily hair which is really curly... SWMBO has, in no uncertain terms, banned all forms of facial hair except sideburns. I try every few years to see if the situation has improved, but I suck at growing cool stuff on my face.

:(

I ain't saying its s GOOD one... but shaving eats. And then I would have to get up earlier to shave in the morning. Skrew that.

Not ZZ topish. More wolfmanish.

I occasionally have to shave to wear a respirator on the job. Those are sad, sad days.

I've had one on and off for a while. Last one was last winter. Thinking about growing it again just to screw w/SWMBO. I keep it trimmed up tho. Hell, it's mostly grey these days anyway...

The goat (and exactly 2nd Street, NOT Goatse)and mustache never leave. (The mustache especially)

Ize

Yeah I just grew my beard in, I usually grow one every October. When I lived in upstate NY, it was nice because it really helped protect my face from the wind chill. Now I'm just lazy and don't like shaving.

I'm almost 48 and I've never had a beard. I've been in the military since I was 18 so I've never had the chance. I'm going to grow one when I retire though.

I've had a beard for over 30 years. Drove the old farts crazy while I was in the Navy (Thank you Ad. Zumwalt!). Not ZZ Top, think Amish. My father's greats came from the same part of Europe & the growth pattern is genetic!

I've never had one, nor been interested in having one either. How could I hide my rugged good looks?

Oh hell yeah! I hate shaving... Right now it is very respectable full beard, and if it were earlier in the year I would be trimming it now, but being in New England (central VT shortly) it is on it's own till spring I think... gonna get Big!
kinda like this :fro: only upside down:rockin:

No beard curremtly, Ive had a goatee in the past. Now I try to get away with shaving as rarely as possible. Damn I hate to shave.

I don't have a beard. It's tough to grow a beard with only 17 facial hairs. I did have a moustache once, and after several years, those 13 upper lip hairs sort of resembled a moustache, but I coulda done better with an eyebrow pencil. As for chest hair, well, I have three of them. They look kinda silly, especially now that they are starting to turn grey, so I pluck them every three to five months when they pop back up again.

beer4breakfast said:
I don't have a beard. It's tough to grow a beard with only 17 facial hairs. I did have a moustache once, and after several years, those 13 upper lip hairs sort of resembled a moustache, but I coulda done better with an eyebrow pencil. As for chest hair, well, I have three of them. They look kinda silly, especially now that they are starting to turn grey, so I pluck them every three to five months when they pop back up again.

LOL, tust me, having them grow in at every single angle conceivable, from more areas that you can possibly imagine, is no picnic either...

Ok, bluntly, let's not bring nosehair into this.

:D

Ize

Ize said:
LOL, tust me, having them grow in at every single angle conceivable, from more areas that you can possibly imagine, is no picnic either...

Ize

Oh, sorry, I can't resist. You see, I think that's where all my facial hair went. In my nose and in my ears... anyone know of a good, high-powered nasal weed-wacker or nose hair mower? None of the trimmers I've tried are really up to the task. :D

beer4breakfast said:
Oh, sorry, I can't resist. You see, I think that's where all my facial hair went. In my nose and in my ears... anyone know of a good, high-powered nasal weed-wacker or nose hair mower? None of the trimmers I've tried are really up to the task. :D

HMMM...

Black and Decker might make something nice for you...

Husqvarna might do also. :D

If we have to resort to John Deere I'm gonna bail....:drunk:

Ize

Sean said:
Hey TxBrew, Do you have a beard?

Yep I'm sporting the beard right now.
beard.gif

Can't- have to wear a respirator on the job. Before that I was in the military so I couldn't wear one there either.:(

That's not to say that I grow a very good beard anyway.

Ize said:

Ize

Ditto. That's why I describe my beard as wolfmanish. Its not just hair. Its fur.

If I don't shave it into a beard, it starts about an inch below my eyes and runs down to my chest and wraps half way around my neck.

Flyin' Lion said:
Can't- have to wear a respirator on the job. Before that I was in the military so I couldn't wear one there either.:(
Ya know, I proved them wrong...a couple of years ago I was getting ready to deploy and we had to get our masks tested with the PATS and my mask sealed while wearing a 3 inch plus beard.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
Ya know, I proved them wrong...a couple of years ago I was getting ready to deploy and we had to get our masks tested with the PATS and my mask sealed while wearing a 3 inch plus beard.:D

My company won't even let us try to be fit-tested with facial hair, even though it would probably pass. Or probably because it would pass. Who knew corporate america was more strict than the military?

homebrewer_99 said:
I let my beard grow every winter...come springtime it's off again...

Ditto. It keeps me warm and breaks up my big white face in the woods so that I can better conceal myself from woodland creatures that I'm trying kill.

Beards are worn by fifth columnists, pirates and other 'unsavory types'.....;)
I'm clean shaven usually but often have stubble - no more than three days worth or I look way too old.....
When I was younger I used to be in a job that (quoting the company regulations) 'if you wish to grow a beard you must inform your Manager that you are doing so'.
I had a fair few 'one day beards' in those days when I was too hungover to be bothered shaving!:D

So I'm unsavoriy. What's the lyric... I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Wearing a SCBA on my beard during training, I've been able to get a good seal when I breathed out, but when I breathed in I could feel the tank pushing air through my beard.

The bottom line is its better to shave than bet your health on whether you get at good seal.

Yup,wearin' a beard and lovin it!Took me til my 40's to do it whiskerwise.The two ex-wives wouldn't have it but the current SWMBO(live in)pretty much demands it.
When i shaved it off the last time,my kids didn't like it and requested me to grow it back.About three years bearded now.I'm lazy and hate to shave anyway.It hides my weak chin also.Been told that it makes me look older....who cares.:)
Cheers!:tank:

Pri.ShortBlondeAle
Pri.2 zilch
2nd. Dunkelweisen
2nd.2 Amer.Wheat
Bottled/Drinking/Serving up to friends tonight-O'fest,YellowDogAle,NutBrownAle,Stout:ban:

I might be able to grow a goate . . . maybe but other then that no bead or anything else. I tried to grow a stasch one time. After 2 years no one noticed so I gave up

I could really, really use some facial hair (it's cold and I look about twelve years younger than I am), but I so dread the period BEFORE it comes in, when it's just half-assed and scraggly. I've got to meet with clients, you know?

I need to take like two weeks of vacation, brew ten batches, and grow a goat.

I can't recall when I did not have a beard. Probably since I was about 19 or 20 years old.... It varies in length at times.

I only shave about once a week. Occasionally I'll let it go for a few weeks, but by the time it gets long enough to hold on to, it's too itchy and my face seems to break out in a rash. Plus my upper lip is fairly bald right under my nose. The goat thing doesn't work out too well.

magno said:
No beard curremtly, Ive had a goatee in the past. Now I try to get away with shaving as rarely as possible. Damn I hate to shave.

You know what Dan? Maybe I'd kiss you more if you shaved once in awhile! BTW, you should put up a picture of you with the goatee. That thing was giant; I'm sure everyone will be impressed. ;) I think I measured it once at 3 inches. And you have a sort of beard if you count that thing under your lip. I do not know what that is called.

Have you drank your prison hooch yet? I will give you a five day no shaving pass if you try just a little. (He used my expired bread yeast and gatorade powder-- this was a few months ago).

How's the mead coming along? I bet it won't get you as messed up as the hoooooooch...

xoxo, Viv

And if you are going to be calling me "SWMBO" :p then you should at least pretend to obey! Really, Dan, c'mon.

Back