Do you ever top off @ the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rankinstein

Reaction score
From what I've been reading in the forums here I expect most people have their initial boil down so that they have more or less the amount of wort they want by the end, but a lot of kit instructions and even instructions in books recommend adding sanitized water after you rack to the secondary (up to the neck, even).

I'm assuming this is to avoid oxidation, but do any of you actually do this? If so, is there a point at which you won't add any more water?

There is no need to do this. If you rack without splashing, oxidation is not an issue due to the layer of CO2 sitting on top of your beer protecting it from air.
Adding water to the secondary just dilutes your beer. If you like diluted beer, you could always just dilute it in the glass. :D

I havent added any water, but then i havent used a secondary. I would think that adding water to secondary would water down your brew considerably, and might also contribute to some oxidation.

Nope, no topping off for me. I did once; it was my second brew and I did as the instructions told me but I haven't done it since. I shoot for ~6 gallon batches and have enough beer to fill the entire carboy if I ever use a secondary.

I seldom secondary any more but when I do I either rack just before fermentation is complete so continued CO2 production displaces any air in my carboy or top up if fermentation is complete.

GT

I am having this problem with a pilsner that is sitting right now in the secondary @ 52F. I'm a new brewer and I have just found out my 5 gallon line on the true brew fermentation bucket is actually 4 to 4-1/4 gallons. my last brew tastes better when I add 20% cold water to the glass before drinking, but it looses carbonation a bit.
I've been thinking if I can top off - siphoning - with pre-boiled, cooled water (to avoid oxidation) or maybe use like 3/4 gallon for priming.
What should I do?

that's the brew:
1 can coopers brewmaster pilsener + 2lbs x-tra light DME with saflager us-23
specialty: 1/2 lbs munich light + 1/2 lbs german crystal 10
1oz saaz 15 min + 1oz saaz 1 min.
OG 1.057 (for the 4 - 4-1/4 gallons) I was expecting about 1.047 - 1.052
yeast pithced directly @ 54F
racked to secondary after 8 days - hyd reading 1.014
*This recipe should be for 5 gallons

Latest posts

Back