Do you disassemble and clean NPT fittings every brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don_bran321

Reaction score
I have a 3v EHERMS system with several ball lock fittings. It would take a long long time to disassemble and clean them all with the chance of leaks putting them back together.
Do you all do this or do you more or less run cleaner through the system after your done?

I run cleaner. I may regret it someday, along with all my other less than completely sanitary habits, when I finally get my first infection.

Hot side? It depends on how often you brew. I'd hit it with cleaner and a brush most of the time. But every once in a while you'll wanna break it down. If you're only brewing a couple times a year i would do it every time.

Anything post chiller, yes I'd be breaking them down every time if possible.

I've never disassembled my ball valves and over 4-5 years never had a problem. When I clean I run the solution through the ball valves and slowly open/close them several times. I'll do this through each rinse step as well. No problems. Matter of fact, I also don't even remove the non-weld valves or thermometers for kettles and fermenters, I just clean with them in place and be sure to clean with the sponge right around the mount point. Been working for me for many years now.

Rev.

No, and you cant get in infection from this since its boiled and sterilized.

That said if you dont clean the inside of your valves they can get nasty behind the ball in the deadspace... I run pbw while actuating the valve a bunch of times every few brews and run hot water through everything right after brewing but I have more permenent hard plumbed lines coming off my rims than most and lots of valves... 5 years now and no issues. every once in a while ill pull a valve or pump apart just to inspect and make sure my cleaning are sufficient. basically I do what Rev2010 doesn but I do disassemble and clean my conical valves

I rarely, if ever clean components on my hot side, even the valves. My tun is washed out to get particles and debris out, no scrubbing. The only thing I make sure is clean is the RIMS element since it builds an organic layer on it with every brew and its important that it not get to the point that it burns.

I rarely, if ever clean components on my hot side, even the valves. My tun is washed out to get particles and debris out, no scrubbing. The only thing I make sure is clean is the RIMS element since it builds an organic layer on it with every brew and its important that it not get to the point that it burns.
That buildup does depend on the watt density of the element.. this is a pic of my rims after just rinsing with about 2 gallons of water through it directly after brewing.. I have no such luck with my ripple BK element however which requires cleaning for the reasons you mention.

Attachments

• 20180822_170328.jpg
    20180822_170328.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 191
  • 20180822_170300.jpg
    20180822_170300.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 214
I run gas so I don't know how relevant this may be, but I do not disassemble aat all. I recirc for 1/2 hour hot PBW through everything from vessels, all lines and pumps. I then rinse with hot water then dump the water. I leave all ball valves half open, detach the lines, hang to dry the lines, dry the vessels, and call it a day. So far, so good.

Sweet! Thank you everyone for your feedback. It's much appreciated. I have been doing similar steps myself. I like the idea of leaving the ball valves half open :)

Sweet! Thank you everyone for your feedback. It's much appreciated. I have been doing similar steps myself. I like the idea of leaving the ball valves half open :)
you really need to actuate them open and closed to get the area behind the ball clean. otherwise its still dead space thats not getting flushed out.

I have gotten into the habit of taking all the ball valves apart every six brews or so and give them a hot soak in pbw. It gives me peace of mind and I do see a little gunk in there so I feel better that I get this out. I do run cleaner through and actuate the ball valves after every brew and then soak them in some Star San before drying and putting the brewery away after every brew day. I brew on my back lanai, so I have to take the brewery down and put it in the garage after every brew day, so this works well for me. I always break down the valves every time on my fermenter though, each and every time. Never have any problems this way. I brew once a month and I am 30 batches in on my Kal clone.

John

I just clean with hot water and pbw/Oxi after brewday and wetvac them dry. I do take them apart occasionally and soak in pbw. When I have I really mostly noticed my pump heads to be the ones with some debris. Cheers

I rarely disassemble the fittings on my setup.
I use 3 pieces ball valves and I take them apart maybe once or 2 in the year.
Rest of the time I fill half the hot water keg with water and a cleaner made for maple sap equipment. I circulate half of that to the mash tun and then recirculate thru the herms then to the boiler, and then the other half to the boiler and I recirculate.
I do it for about 15 minutes each, never had any trouble over the years.

For the next, I'm going tri clamp fittings, will be easier to clean and dismantle.

I have actually changed most of my ball valves to the take apart valves. They are very convenient to take apart and clean. I had 2 piece valves, and when I replaced them, there was an amazing amount of crud built up over the ten years I had been using the valves. Now it is very easy for me to take off the triclamp, disassemble and rinse the valves, and let them dry, and then reassemble the next day.

I have actually changed most of my ball valves to the take apart valves. They are very convenient to take apart and clean. I had 2 piece valves, and when I replaced them, there was an amazing amount of crud built up over the ten years I had been using the valves. Now it is very easy for me to take off the triclamp, disassemble and rinse the valves, and let them dry, and then reassemble the next day.
the non 2 piece ball valves are actually easier to dissemble and clean than the ones with all the bolts. I have both and the only reason I can see why someone would want them is they either dont know this or like the looks better... the whole end just unscrews with a single wrench on the 1 piece valves.

I just bought a few of these and really like them. swapping out all my conical valves with them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-38mm-S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

the non 2 piece ball valves are actually easier to dissemble and clean than the ones with all the bolts. I have both and the only reason I can see why someone would want them is they either dont know this or like the looks better... the whole end just unscrews with a single wrench on the 1 piece valves.

I just bought a few of these and really like them. swapping out all my conical valves with them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-38mm-Sanitary-Stainless-Steel-TriClamp-Butterfly-Valve-TC-Clamp-SS304/122063179557?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I think you are mistaken about the valves that I have. Mine are the take apart valves that use a triclamp to hold it together in the center.

https://www.brewershardware.com/1-2-NPT-Quick-Clean-Take-Apart-Ball-Valve.html

These are the ones I have. I had the same concerns about the 3 piece valves with the bolts, I never liked the design, and knew I wouldn't take them apart, these are a cinch to take apart and put back together.

Here are a couple pictures:
34634846380_7b1b1a9243_c.jpg

35122474356_6f9c5c5e59_c.jpg

Last edited:
I think you are mistaken about the valves that I have. Mine are the take apart valves that use a triclamp to hold it together in the center.

https://www.brewershardware.com/1-2-NPT-Quick-Clean-Take-Apart-Ball-Valve.html

These are the ones I have. I had the same concerns about the 3 piece valves with the bolts, I never liked the design, and knew I wouldn't take them apart, these are a cinch to take apart and put back together.

Here are a couple pictures:
34634846380_7b1b1a9243_c.jpg

35122474356_6f9c5c5e59_c.jpg
ahh that makes more sense.

Back