Do you crush your flaked wheat more for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allynlyon

Reaction score
Title says it all. I've been reading up on how to improve my efficiency, and I believe that my crush isn't fine enough for BIAB. I ordered a knock off corona from discount tommy. That being said in a few days I am planning on brewing a hefeweizen and wasn't sure if I should re-crush the flaked wheat or leave it as is. I know with regular all grain it isn't necessary but everything I am reading says that when you BIAB you should crush more finely. Thanks in advance.

Allyson

Try a little of the flaked wheat through the Corona and compare it to the original. I think you will want to mill it all.

I don't mill the flaked grains. There really isn't a need since the purpose of the milling process is to crack open the husks of the grains and expose them. There is no husk to crack on flaked grains. I guess you could say that breaking them up more increases surface area, but they are pretty well flattened out already.

Careful with the old wives tale that you need to crush finer with BIAB than with traditional. If you are at around the .036-.039 range you will get a good crush. I run mine through 2x just to be sure each grain is cracked open, but I don't pulverize them. Take a look over at the site BIABrewer.info Those guys started the process of BIAB and have done some extensive research into lots of areas including crushing grains for BIAB.

Back