Do You Cook With Your Homebrew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unionrdr said:
I like making a thin mop sauce with my Cooper's English bitter. Goes great with rich smoky flavors. But the black lager with rauchmalt I'm brewing now should work even better for the same purpose. I'm going to use some on my b-day the end of next month on a couple chuck roasts with pin oak in the bbq pit. Here's the recipe for the mop sauce;
1 bottle English bitter or rauchbeir
1TBSP worchestershire sauce
1tsp each onion & garlic powder
1/2tsp each red & black pepper
2tsp dried parsley
Mix all together & place in a small non reactive bowl covered in plastic wrap the day before use in the fridge. This allows flavors to mingle through the beer for more even flavor distribution on the meat.
It's great on ribs,beef,ham...even chuck burgers smoked in the pit. Try that when you want a really good burger sometime. Even saving twigs & branches cut up to size works great on top of the hot coals. Use'em dry with the bark on.

I could use this to mop up some juicy Lucy's. which is the best way to make a burger IMO. Either that or old Chicago style burgers. Which if you've never tried one is a burger tipped with chili and an over easy egg. Freakin delicious!!

Now that my chocolate stout is finished and tasty I'm gonna try using some for that beer-misu recipe posted earlier in the thread. Pretty excited to see how it turns out.

I have made brownies and home made ice cream with my Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout. I watched an entire batch disappear in a single evening once, when I had friends over for beer brownies, beer ice cream, and the beer itself. Here are the recipes I used:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/r/blbrownie1.htm
(Where it calls for a tiny bit of Guiness, I used a full 12oz bottle of the PBC stout)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bittersweet-chocolate-and-stout-beer-ice-cream/
(Where it calls for a pint of Guiness, I used about 3/4 of a 22oz bottle of the PBC stout - and drank the rest while I slaved away in the kitchen :) )

Also made a wheat beer with lavender, rose hips, and citra hops last year. It was nearly undrinkable at first (tasted like insect repellant). But it has mellowed over the past few months. Still not something I would pour anyone a glass of. But I think it has promise as a marinade for chicken. We'll see about that when grilling season comes around.

I would, but my last batch was a spicy (as in spices, not hot) Christmas beer, which wouldn't really work for any of my recipes. If I made something else, I'd probably consider cooking with it, but I doubt that my 1-gallon batches (which I haven't done in almost two months) would lend themselves to much use - drinking does come first, after all.

You guys are giving me so many ideas!

My pride is my homemade beer mustard. And its offspring of beer honey mustard. Goes great with spent grain pretzels!

mosquitocontrol said:
You guys are giving me so many ideas!

My pride is my homemade beer mustard. And its offspring of beer honey mustard. Goes great with spent grain pretzels!

Care to share the recipe or is it a personal secret? I make some kick ass deviled eggs with honey mustard. I'm thinking that beer honey mustard could make it even more interesting.

what flour did you use? he makes a point of mentioning his local, high quality flour..

We buy organic grains grown locally in Atlantic Canada from Speerville Flour (http://www.speervilleflourmill.ca/) and grind them (with the exception of the unbleached) depending on requirement. For crackers I grind spelt and Kamut on the course side, for pasta Kamut on the fine side (added to unbleached) and for Miche a combination (unbleached, medium Red Fife, medium to course Rye). If you are in the area I highly recommend them. We purchase everything from maple syrup to beans from them so the delivery is included.

I have a homebrewed hazelnut stout that has way too much nut flavor for me to drink, but it works great in cookies, cakes, etc.

I also have a smoked saison that has too much smoke flavor that I use to marinade anything going on the grill. It's really good with brats and chicken...

The southern beans thread got me to experiment with navy beans in the crockpot with chicken stock, bacon, onions, garlic, molasses, peppers, and my robust porter. Came out great despite the wife's suspicion at first.

Today we put some trub from my completed ESB in with the yeast for a pizza dough. Fantastic! Much improved rise and a nice doughy, malty flavor. It was just a little bit, too...maybe 1/4 cup or so.

Folks also use about a cup of spent grains in pizza dough too. Man,that's gotta be double good with some settled yeast too! Been wanting to try that myself. I want to get a pizza stone to use in the bbq pit right above the coals for would fired pizzas. Maybe use some pin oak for that spicy bit of smoke flavor?...

The southern beans thread got me to experiment with navy beans in the crockpot with chicken stock, bacon, onions, garlic, molasses, peppers, and my robust porter. Came out great despite the wife's suspicion at first.

Do you think you post a recipe or pm it to me. Been looking for a good bean recipe.

Recipe - we don't need no stinkin' recipe ;)

Quick-soak your beans by putting them in water, bringing to a boil, and turn the heat off two minutes into the boil. Let them sit at least an hour.

Meanwhile - fry up a bunch of bacon. Brown some chicken thighs in olive oil while you're at it.

Dice some onions, red peppers, and garlic. Drain off most of the bacon grease and fry the onions and peppers in it. Add the garlic a little bit later so the moisture from onions and peppers keeps the garlic from scorching.

In a big bowl, dump some chicken stock and robust porter. Maybe 3-1 stock to porter, but who cares? Also pour in just enough molasses.

Dig through the spice cabinet to find something interesting. The wife came home recently from some sort of kitchen party with something labeled 'smoky barbecue rub', so that's what I used. Dump a bunch of it in the liquid and whisk till smooth.

Drain the beans and dump in the crock pot. Crumble the bacon and stir it in. Then stir in the stock/porter mixture along with the onions, garlic, and peppers. Put your browned chicken thighs on top of that, and then lay four or five whole strips of raw bacon on top of the chicken thighs. Cover and cook for about six hours.

After the beans are cooked through, turn off the heat and let it stand uncovered 15-30 minutes so it gets nice and thick. Serve with big hunks of beer bread.

Quick-soak your beans by putting them in water, bringing to a boil, and turn the heat off two minutes into the boil. Let them sit at least an hour.

Meanwhile - fry up a bunch of bacon. Brown some chicken thighs in olive oil while you're at it.

Dice some onions, red peppers, and garlic. Drain off most of the bacon grease and fry the onions and peppers in it. Add the garlic a little bit later so the moisture from onions and peppers keeps the garlic from scorching.

In a big bowl, dump some chicken stock and robust porter. Maybe 3-1 stock to porter, but who cares? Also pour in just enough molasses.

Dig through the spice cabinet to find something interesting. The wife came home recently from some sort of kitchen party with something labeled 'smoky barbecue rub', so that's what I used. Dump a bunch of it in the liquid and whisk till smooth.

Drain the beans and dump in the crock pot. Crumble the bacon and stir it in. Then stir in the stock/porter mixture along with the onions, garlic, and peppers. Put your browned chicken thighs on top of that, and then lay four or five whole strips of raw bacon on top of the chicken thighs. Cover and cook for about six hours.

After the beans are cooked through, turn off the heat and let it stand uncovered 15-30 minutes so it gets nice and thick. Serve with big hunks of beer bread.

My mouth is watering right now, that sounds so good.

OMFG I IS HUNGRRRY.!!!!
thanks for the recipe I think these are coming up this weekend! !!
Ooooooooo I am excited gonna smoke some ribs too to go with it.
Thanks for giving a long hard week that is coming up a light at the end of the tunnel.

Made a beer bread a couple weeks ago, the recipe substitutes beer for water in a regular artesian bread recipe. The recipe recommended a stout, I used a very hoppy English Pale Ale. The recipe also said that there would be much beer flavor in the bread.

The malt sugars made the bread very crusty. If I broke off the crust and ate it by itself, I could faintly taste the hops.

Beernik said:
Made a beer bread a couple weeks ago, the recipe substitutes beer for water in a regular artesian bread recipe. The recipe recommended a stout, I used a very hoppy English Pale Ale. The recipe also said that there would be much beer flavor in the bread.

The malt sugars made the bread very crusty. If I broke off the crust and ate it by itself, I could faintly taste the hops.

I've done that with the Ghostface Killah beer for pizza dough. It comes out really good.

I threw together a chili last night using 2lbs of left over brisket, 3lbs of fresh chuck and 20oz of chorizo. I sautee sweated the onions & garlic in my vanilla bourbon porter and then deglazed the pan with more vanilla bourbon porter and browned the chuck and chorizo in it. Threw everything in the stock pot with 2 big cans of italian basil crushed tomatoes and kidney, pinto and cannellini beans. Tossed in the last of my chipotles and added some coriander cumin and cayenne chili powder plus some grated up mexican chocolate.

It's been simmering since last night and I've only snuck a few tastes but it's pretty sublime so far.

Making chili right now with my chocolate oatmeal stout. As well as white onion, cumin, garlic, pepper, kidney beans, salt, diced tomatoes, chili powder, and maple syrup. Should be delicious.

Back