Do we "think" too much about brewing beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are different kinds of experimentation, creative and scientific are two of them. Scientific experimentation leads to repeatable results. Creative experimentation leads to serendipitous results. Both have their rewards, just depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. I see adding new ingredients to a cake (or the same ingredients that were used previously in different amounts) as experimental. I see the exact same practices in regards to beer as experimental (for example, adding bitter orange peels instead of sweet orange peels or whatever).

The very minute and minor aspects such as mashing with a 1 degree difference from last time or for ten more minutes are not things that I have any interest "experimenting" with. I'm not going to say they aren't "experimental" because they are, but I'm simply not interested in experimenting with those kinds of things.

I guess if we use one approach as the "scientist approach" and the other as the "cook approach," I would fall under the "cook approach."

I don't think that we are disagreeing. When I say that experimentation means keeping everything the same but one variable that variable does not need to be tiny and in fact should not be something so insignificant that it is likely to make no significant impact. For example, I recently made several batches of a beer and changed only the base malts - in each batch - 2 Row, Maris Otter , Pale Ale. The same weight of grains, the same specialty malts, the same hops, the same volumes of water, the same amount of time in the primary etc etc. I wanted to see how this would affect the color and flavor and mouthfeel. Adding sweet or bitter orange peels would be a similar kind of experiment...

There are different kinds of experimentation, creative and scientific are two of them. Scientific experimentation leads to repeatable results. Creative experimentation leads to serendipitous results. Both have their rewards, just depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

And I think that people should be very happy with their own choices.

The thing is, saying that brewing is "easy" when someone is making premade kits is like saying that cooking is easy, and using Betty Crocker cake mixes.

Sure, that's pretty easy.

Kit brewing is great for those who choose to do it. But it's not really comparable to the techniques done by people who formulate the water chemistry, the recipe, the fermentation schedule, and so on. It's not that one is necessarily better than the other, as each brewer can decide how much work they want to put into it- but it's definitely not the same thing.

And I think that people should be very happy with their own choices.

The thing is, saying that brewing is "easy" when someone is making premade kits is like saying that cooking is easy, and using Betty Crocker cake mixes.

Sure, that's pretty easy.

Kit brewing is great for those who choose to do it. But it's not really comparable to the techniques done by people who formulate the water chemistry, the recipe, the fermentation schedule, and so on. It's not that one is necessarily better than the other, as each brewer can decide how much work they want to put into it- but it's definitely not the same thing.

Totally agreed. :mug:

It seems to come down to this:

1.12121_p9_lab-safety_PA-13744421.jpg

or this

winecellar.jpg

Is one better than the other? I think not; however, one or the other is more likely to be in line with your own philosophy and goals regarding brewing.

I like to think that I have both going on at my home... :)

I think of brewing beer as a [very humbling] cooperative venture between myself and Nature. I think I appreciated this fact best at my very first brew, marveling at how this natural process ultimately produced a delicious homemade beer in spite of the fact I didn't know what I was doing. Grains, hops, yeast, heat, time --- all natural ingredients, that when combined in a way only Nature itself can best dictate, produces something enjoyable that can't be achieved by any other means. If I've learned anything in the few short months I've been brewing, it's that making good beer isn't as much a matter of "control over" the process as it is cooperation with the process.

Interesting thread. I think that I can relate to some of mjdonnelly's comments. I started out thinking that my stuff was amazing. Then I transitioned into all grain, and the next few seemed good. Then I started trying to build my own water profile in my hunt to get the hop signature that I wanted in my beers. That is when things started seeming "not good". So, in my case, I didn't really over-think things until some of my beers turned out not-so-good. Then I went into over-drive regarding obsessing over things to try and figure out this common issue I have been having with my pale ales.

In short, I do think that we tend to overthink things. Especially when things don't turn out the way that we think they should have. :)

No.

This is a hobby, and we can think about it as much or as little as we want. It makes me happy to think about it a lot, but maybe less than others, and that's okay. RDWHAHB is great for Charlie, but I'm not wired that way. Sometimes I experiment, and sometimes I want to hit the numbers. I choose which things I want to obsess over, and which to play fast and loose. But I'm not likely to ever RDW. (I will HAHB.) Do what makes you happy.

However, I am baffled by the approach taken by many brewers to sanitation. Are you really in this hobby because you like to obsessively clean stuff all the time? I'm talking about cleaning and sanitizing and sterilizing things that are already clean and sanitized. If so, carry on, but take it easy on the new brewers, e.g. a "slight" infection may steal your hop aroma. Really?

great thread.. there are two schools of thought here...

1. My wife thinks I think too much about brewing beer
2. sometimes I over-think my beers brewing

As for #2, I think we can all make truly excellent beer by keeping it simple. More complexity doesn't necessarily make a better product. As your palate gets more refined, you will always find something wrong in the pursuit of excellence.

As for me, I need to get back to basics as my continual teaking has taken me too far away from the goal. There is a Lean Kaizen in my near future... :)

This post isn't meant to sound harsh. Please don't read it that way.

It is a hobby... And each individual has the luxury of putting into it whatever they want.

I'm not concerned about whether some folks agonize over the details. I don't. What I do find difficult is having to read thread after thread about what we - as home brewers - MUST do, and how we're wrong for not doing certain things.

I say... it's a hobby. Lighten up. Have fun counting yeast cells and spending a few thousand dollars on your rig. I'm happy for you and genuinely wish you well, but please... let me do it my way. I'm appreciative of your advice, but what is being poured out of my bottles and kegs speaks for itself.

Agonize over the details and enjoy yourself. In the mean-time, I'll consider briefly that I didn't make my OG on the batch of beer that me and all of my friends are really enjoying. Then I'll pour another one and forget all about the 2 points I missed.

However, I am baffled by the approach taken by many brewers to sanitation. Are you really in this hobby because you like to obsessively clean stuff all the time? I'm talking about cleaning and sanitizing and sterilizing things that are already clean and sanitized. If so, carry on, but take it easy on the new brewers, e.g. a "slight" infection may steal your hop aroma. Really?

There is no such thing as a "slight" infection.

Editing this to add to that...

If your beer gets infected, you've now got a living culture of bugs in there, intentionally or not, and they're gonna mess up your beer. Unless you're souring it, but thats another story. A lot of us strive to be meticulously clean and sanitized because infections suck. You'll get one eventually if you haven't yet. And when you get one, hope that it sticks to that one fermenter. An infected piece in your brewery can be a nightmare, leading down a path of bad beers.

I think if my wife ever told me I think/talk to much about beer then I would agree. But to this day she has yet to say that. As much as I talk and involve myself in the hobby she supports me and is actually more and more interested and gets involved in the hobby.

A lot of my time goes towards this hobby. When I am out with my friends I am talking about brewing/beer if somebody is willing. People tell me I'm not the most talkative person but as soon as you bring up beer/brewing they can't get me to shut up. I don't think its a bad thing its what I enjoy.

As a brewer I think at times I obsess about details. Many of those obsessions ended up in understanding how to produce beers the way i want to. Then i try and figure out a way to control that part of the process so i don't have to obsess about it any more. I can control it easily and it is no longer an obsession but just a part of the process that is easy to control.

Now I have a 10 gallon herms system and i really enjoy brewing on it. The control i have is great and i can do some precise brews on it. But recently, not that i needed much, but i got some equipment to do BIAB on my kitchen stove. The only reason is cause i want to be able to make a quick beer and can still spend time with my family, especially in the winter. I know i will be able to make a good beer with it, and that's all i want.

I'd like to keep typing but i got 10 gallons of beer to keg and i got to get my hops and grain weighed out for tomorrow so i can do my first BIAB in the kitchen.

If your beer gets infected, ...they're gonna mess up your beer. You'll get one eventually if you haven't yet.

...not that you bear any ill will, right? :smack:

Are you saying that every brewer must eventually get an infection? If so, I'm fairly confident you are wrong about that. And if not, then how do you know I will get one? Wrong again. :smack::smack:

Anyway, I think you are missing the point. The idea that "a little bit of infection" causes all sorts of woes is pervasive in this forum, as if sanitation alone could elevate your beer from mediocre to fantastic. I'm suggesting that those brewers may want to start obsessing about some of the other things required to brew great beer -- in addition to basic sanitation.

The thing to remember is to brew to your own goals. There is room for all of us here. In fact that is what makes these forums so interesting. It does turn into a competition sometimes. (What? Your mash temp was 1/2 degree off? And you are still using the Annihilator 8000? You have to get the Annihilator 9000 to make beer properly).

I've gone through all the stages described here. Starting out very self- encouraging then realizing that my beer was not good compared to what was available at a pub. After spending some time working for a small brewery I realized that most commercial beer is flawed in one way or another. My goal now is making beer that pleases SWMBO more than the commercial beers we can get. That is easy.

When I posted my random musing yesterday, I never imagined it would take off like it did...lot's of great comments on BOTH sides of the fence done in a very civilized way! I think mjdonnelly68 made the best reply of all...I imagine I'm in one of those early stages!

Just FYI...I teach in the English department, so, I'm no engineer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a sloppy brewer. I do things right...I KNOW there is a bad batch coming my way somewhere down the road. I KNOW as I grow as a brewer things will get more complicated, and yes, I'll start worrying about certain things! I have a LONG LONG way to go and much to learn.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Greg
Cheers!

...not that you bear any ill will, right? :smack:

Are you saying that every brewer must eventually get an infection? If so, I'm fairly confident you are wrong about that. And if not, then how do you know I will get one? Wrong again. :smack::smack:

Anyway, I think you are missing the point. The idea that "a little bit of infection" causes all sorts of woes is pervasive in this forum, as if sanitation alone could elevate your beer from mediocre to fantastic. I'm suggesting that those brewers may want to start obsessing about some of the other things required to brew great beer -- in addition to basic sanitation.

No no, I wasn't trying to "curse" you with an infection. And must is a strong word too. It happens...in the same way that "everyone" will eventually get a speeding ticket. I've been homebrewing 10 years no and I've gotten I think 2 infected batches, and the occassional bad bottle. It sucks when it happens, and I would never want anyone to have to deal with it.

Infections do cause all sorts of woes. Proper sanitation is not going to help a bad brewer make good beer, but poor sanitation will make a great brewer brew terrible beer.

I'm 32 and I've never gotten a driving ticket of any kind.

I likewise don't expect to ever get an infected batch. In fact, I'll make sure that I never do. Among careful brewers, I don't think that's an unusual thing. I saw a video on YouTube a little while back where the guy mentioned that he had done just under 1000 batches and still hadn't gotten a single infection, but that just emphasizes the importance of sanitation and carefulness. It's one reason why I never drink while brewing.

When I posted my random musing yesterday, I never imagined it would take off like it did...lot's of great comments on BOTH sides of the fence done in a very civilized way! I think mjdonnelly68 made the best reply of all...I imagine I'm in one of those early stages!

Just FYI...I teach in the English department, so, I'm no engineer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a sloppy brewer. I do things right...I KNOW there is a bad batch coming my way somewhere down the road. I KNOW as I grow as a brewer things will get more complicated, and yes, I'll start worrying about certain things! I have a LONG LONG way to go and much to learn.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Greg
Cheers!

We are all in different places. Some brew kits, and some of us make those recipes for the kits.

We can all go as deep into the hobby as we chose, from those "betty crocker" types (kits) to the all-grain water chemistry HERMS nerds that make commercial quality or better beer. There is room for all of us.

I don't think that people think too much about the hobby. Most people put the thought that they want to into the product.

Some of us want to make good beer with the occasional great one in there. And there isn't a whole lot of "thought" that is needed for that.

Others want the same product every batch. And with that there is a certain level of OCD that is required for that.

It all comes down to what you want out of beer.

My take: I want to eventually get in control of all steps/variables in the process. Right now I'm focused on mash temp and fermentation temp. I want to get to the point where my process has those dialed in.

BUT...I'm not going to freak out if, for example, I targeted 152 degrees for the mash but I actually hit 154 (or 150). I'll note what I did, and that whatever I did didn't work the way I expected, but i WON'T say "my beer is ruined"! Because the probability is that the beer will be fine (in terms of drinkability). I WILL use the information so next time I can hit 152, and the next time, and the next time....

And then I'll move on to another part of the process. And enjoy what I make, and work to where I can repeatedly make what I like the best.

Selah.

-Dan

Topic for discussion...I mean, do we unnecessarily obsess over the minutia of beer making...temps, times, numbers, etc...

I've not been brewing beer that long, so, I'm no expert by any means...I'm quite mindful of sanitation, but other than that, I find beer making to be quite easy...I guess I just don't sweat the small stuff.

I follow directions when I brew. Put it away. After a couple of weeks, bottle it. Put it away. After a couple of weeks, put it in the refrigerator. Drink it. Make some more.

So far....I haven't had a problem with a batch yet. I just don't see that if OG is supposed to be 1.060 and it comes out as 1.055 to be that big of deal. If I get 47 bottles instead of 50 out of a batch...nothing to worry about.

Any discussion?

Greg

It depends on the brewer and background.

I come from kitchens. Food and especially bread and baking come naturally to me after all the years spent making them, so I have a bit more of a slapdash approach to things. I read a recipe, understand what's suggestion and what has to be, and then innovate based on that.

I think the more analytical mindsets (scientist, doctors, researchers, etc.) spend more time in the specifics and the minutia as that's what they would do with anything, not just brewing.

That's sort of like me. I come up with a recipe & brew it. Then from the color, aroma, flavor, etc, I tweak it with more of this or that grain, yeast, etc till it's where I want it. BS2 helps, but it's still up to the brewer to judge if it's there or needs tweaking.

It depends on the brewer and background.

I come from kitchens. Food and especially bread and baking come naturally to me after all the years spent making them, so I have a bit more of a slapdash approach to things. I read a recipe, understand what's suggestion and what has to be, and then innovate based on that.

I think the more analytical mindsets (scientist, doctors, researchers, etc.) spend more time in the specifics and the minutia as that's what they would do with anything, not just brewing.

It is my experience that there is a greater margin for error making beer than making bread. But then again I am not a cook (except for the occasional gumbo).

This is a fascinating thread for me because I'm new (I've been brewing for about a year but only made four batches so far), I'm an analytical-type person (software engineer), and have definitely been overthinking from the beginning. I'm very careful with sanitation, temperature control, water, etc. and working with extract kits because I want to get the best results possible from those before attempting all-grain.
So far I've been mildly disappointed with every batch. About a month ago I went to a brew fest and tried a couple of beers from newer breweries in the area. One beer was a coffee stout. I made a coffee stout about 6 months ago that was my most disappointing beer so far, and it tasted nearly identical to this local brewery's stout! I found that secretly encouraging, actually.
I read a ton here and feel like I am getting better, but I'll probably always overthink because it's just the way I am. :)

This is a fascinating thread for me because I'm new (I've been brewing for about a year but only made four batches so far), I'm an analytical-type person (software engineer), and have definitely been overthinking from the beginning. I'm very careful with sanitation, temperature control, water, etc. and working with extract kits because I want to get the best results possible from those before attempting all-grain.
So far I've been mildly disappointed with every batch. About a month ago I went to a brew fest and tried a couple of beers from newer breweries in the area. One beer was a coffee stout. I made a coffee stout about 6 months ago that was my most disappointing beer so far, and it tasted nearly identical to this local brewery's stout! I found that secretly encouraging, actually.
I read a ton here and feel like I am getting better, but I'll probably always overthink because it's just the way I am. :)

Good for you! I can't imagine the phases people discuss in which they think their mediocre beer is great, just because they made it. I don't work that way. I was, and am, more critical of my own beer than commercial beers. I really don't care about their beer, and I really DO care about mine.

(Or maybe my beer just sucks a lot more than everyone else's?)

There's no set formula for the path to happiness -- in brewing or anything else.

I used my "mild disappointment" to go all-grain after 3 batches. I always assumed I would still make an occasional extract batch, but... nah. Maybe you are ready to give AG a try.

Keep overthinking, because there is no such thing.

I have been brewing for about a year but wine making for several and I do think brewers tend to treat brewing more as an engineering problem than as both an art and a science. The engineer wants to make the perfect widget and will tweak and tweak and tweak but to think of fermenting as both a science and an art transforms the way you think about it. There are scientific principles that you need to apply but even applying those principles will not result in the outcome you are looking for from the material you have here and now. You need to use your senses (taste, sight, smell, feel etc). Brewing by the numbers (attenuation, efficiency, temperature) means - to my way of thinking that you are far removed from the brew itself. My guess is that many brewers on this forum would just about give their right hand if they could make or put together a system that automates everything from water hardness to chilling before pouring so that they could replicate the same process time after time after time... wine makers tend (I think) to understand the underlying principles and chemistry (the science) and then use their mouth and nose and eyes to modify what they will bottle. I guess bottom line is that brewers think of brewing as , as I say an engineering problem but vitners (cider, mead and wine makers) view fermentation as a science and an art. That means wine makers use their skills, brewers use their equipment.

I tend to think beer is more involved after having done both. Beer has to have the flavor built from the ground up. Wine is more like taking care of the fruit, must, etc to get the wine to come out good. That's the science of it to me.

That means wine makers use their skills, brewers use their equipment.

While it's true that all of the equipment and tools involved does tend to draw engineers to brewing, I wouldn't quite generalise in the way you did.

The fact is that over 95% of the population is looking for someone or something to copy and the other 5% are intuitive systems builders (meaning that they possess the raw cognitive ability to invent systems from scratch without needing to stand on the shoulders of giants).

Out of that 5% of the population of the planet that are "real" systems builders, less than half of them possess the cognitive function of extraverted feeling. For example, Paul Atreides vs Dr. Spock: both of them are real, intuitive systems builders, but Spock build systems for the good of the system itself and Paul (Muad'dib) builds systems for the good of people. Both provide value, but out of the two, only Muad'dib is able to dream flavors in his mind and create without effort them whereas Spock needs to experiment, sample, analyse and so forth.

(Disclaimer, not reading every page of replies)

To me there's a difference between "overthinking" and "overcomplicating".

I think most brewers underthink their brews. However, I also most brewers overcomplicate their brews. Whether it's stupidly complicated malt bills, or stupidly complicated hop schedules, or stupidly complicated spice additions. Yet they pay no attention to basic fundamentals like removing chlorine or chloramine from their brewing water.

I get very scientific about my beers. I (usually) take and record in my log the following measurements with my beers: grains to 0.1 oz, measurement if strike water down to the fraction of a quart, strike water temp in kettle, strike water temp in MLT, water additions measured to 0.1 gram, mash pH prior to adding acid, mash pH during addition of acid, mash pH after resting for 15 minutes, any mash factors (infusions, decoctions, etc) to fraction of a quart, initial mash temperature, mash temperature halfway through, sparge water temperature, gravity of first runnings, gravity of sparge runnings, pH of grain bed during sparging, preboil volume, preboil gravity, boil time, hops to the gram, hop additions to the second, boiloff rate 50% of way through boil adjusted for thermal expansion, chill time, chill temperature, pitching temperature, pitching rate (calculated), aeration time, post boil volume, original gravity, loss of wort to trub, fermentation temperature, FG, bottled volume, bottled beer temperature, carbonation level desired, priming sugar measured to 0.1 gram.

What this does is tell me when anything is off. And I can tell you with really good accuracy exactly what my mash efficiency will be for a given grainbill. It also enables me to rebrew the same beer every time so the numbers match up perfectly (unless I'm intentional tweaking something) and the beer tastes indentical (again unless I'm intentionally tweaking something), and then if I do tweak something, I can know that whatever changed in the beer was a result of the tweak that I made.

HOWEVER, whenever I'm coming up with a recipe and get to exercise the artistic side of brewing, I ask myself for anything that I'm adding "what is this adding to the beer?" If I can't figure out what adding something is going to do, then I'm not going to add it. And adding too many things leaves you with an overcomplicated muddled mess.

I get very scientific about my beers.

grains to 0.1 oz
measurement if strike water down to the fraction of a quart
water additions measured to 0.1 gram
any mash factors (infusions, decoctions, etc) to fraction of a quart
initial mash temperature
hops to the gram
priming sugar measured to 0.1 gram.

You are weighing grains with US system, measuring strike water with US system, weighing water additions with metric system, and measuring hops and priming sugar with the metric system. Your measurement systems are all over the place and that overcomplicates matters that could be made a whole lot simpler if you'd just get scientific for real and use the metric system for everything. Even US scientists use the metric system exclusively because otherwise they couldn't participate in international peer review (and not using it causes other stupid things like losing 10 billion dollar mars space probes due to thrusting at a million miles instead of kilometers). Chemists are smart, rocket scientists not so much, but I digress.

What is the point of weighing your water additions instead of measuring the volume of them? And are you measuring temperatures in celcius or fahrenheit?

Additionally, how difficult is it to work with unreduced fractions? What is 1/16 of 1/4 anyway in liquid ounces, and with what instrument could you measure that? Wouldn't it be one hell of a lot easier to know that you need 59ml, which can easily be measured with a graduated cylinder?

You are weighing grains with US system, measuring strike water with US system, weighing water additions with metric system, and measuring hops and priming sugar with the metric system. Your measurement systems are all over the place and that overcomplicates matters that could be made a whole lot simpler if you'd just get scientific for real and use the metric system for everything. Even US scientists use the metric system exclusively because otherwise they couldn't participate in international peer review (and not using it causes other stupid things like losing 10 billion dollar mars space probes due to thrusting at a million miles instead of kilometers). Chemists are smart, rocket scientists not so much, but I digress.

What is the point of weighing your water additions instead of measuring the volume of them? And are you measuring temperatures in celcius or fahrenheit?

Additionally, how difficult is it to work with unreduced fractions? What is 1/16 of 1/4 anyway in liquid ounces, and with what instrument could you measure that? Wouldn't it be one hell of a lot easier to know that you need 59ml, which can easily be measured with a graduated cylinder?

All true. Using metric across the board would be better. But I work in the units on the equipment available to me. Some stuff can work in metric but not all of it. And I also learned to use the stupid imperial system from a young age and that's a hard habit to break. Or maybe (likely) its a combination of both.

Still a margin for error on everything but my point is to measure as precisely as is prudent (no point measuring salts precisely if you're not also measuring water precisely), and think deep on the process, but don't overthink the beer. At least that's if you want consistency, which I do. If consistency doesn't matter to you then by all means toss a little of this and a little of that and as long as you get good beer you're successful.

And as far as weighing salts vs volume, same reason I weigh priming sugar instead of volume. Volume isn't as accurate.

My bad. I thought you were weighing water! How silly of me.

Weighing water isn't prudent. Plus the thermal expansion/contraction of water is a scientific known, easily calculated and accounted for by brewing software. However the coarse/fine difference between suppliers in sugars and salts (moreso with sugars) is a different story. The "5 oz corn sugar is 3/4 cup" thing is a good example. With the sugar I get, 5 oz is closer to 1/2 cup.

at first I was pretty meticulous about every aspect of brewing. Now, I've brewed enough on my equipment that I pretty much know what I'm going to get out of it. I still record all the recipes, mash temps, sparge volumes and other minor brew day notes, but I wouldn't say I obsess over any of it.
I think this is a wonderful hobby and a great way to spend your time- either brewing or sharing beer with family and friends. If someone wants to obsess over every little detail then that's their preference. There's no right or wrong way to brew beer if the outcome is what you want it to be. That's what makes this hobby so awesome.

Latest posts

Back