Do pellet dry hops release a lot of air?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
The last 2 times I dry hopped the airlock started bubbling like crazy for 30-60 minutes. Is this because there is air in the pellet hops that is getting released? Or are the hops somehow reacting with the beer causing it to release CO2?

I've been fairly careful not to stir up the trub when dry hopping, so I don't think its the trub off gassing.

I'm pretty sure it is the nucleation sites drawing C02 out of solution. Kind of like mentos in the coke trick. Some 02 will probably get in there though, which is why some recommend dry-hopping before fermentation is complete.

I'm pretty sure it is the nucleation sites drawing C02 out of solution. Kind of like mentos in the coke trick. Some 02 will probably get in there though, which is why some recommend dry-hopping before fermentation is complete.

Makes sense! I dry hopped this most recent batch at 3 days when the SG was 1.012, down from an OG of 1.061. Usually I wait 2 weeks for fermentation to be totally done then dry hop. This batch might be ready to bottle in <2 weeks!

Back