Do Muntons carb tabs create more sediment in the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I usually use priming sugar to carbonate my bottles, but recently tried Muntons carb tabs in order to create different levels of carbonation, and have noticed that 6 weeks later I still have a fairly thick and soft looking layer of sediment at the bottom of my bottles. I was wondering if others have had the same result using carbonation tablets? Usually by now whatever sediment I have had has settled out as a thin smooth layer that doesn't get stirred up much when pouring, this thicker layer hasn't settled much and does transfer more to my glass than other batches.

I'm not a huge fan of muntons tabs. I'll use them when I'm kegging half a batch and bottling the rest, but that's it. They're just sugar in tablet form, so I usually get the same effect from priming sugar. The thing I find is that they don't fully dissolve all the time and I'll have floating chunks in the beer.

Are you sure you didn't transfer more yeast to your bottling bucket than normal?

I'm not a huge fan of muntons tabs. I'll use them when I'm kegging half a batch and bottling the rest, but that's it. They're just sugar in tablet form, so I usually get the same effect from priming sugar. The thing I find is that they don't fully dissolve all the time and I'll have floating chunks in the beer.

Are you sure you didn't transfer more yeast to your bottling bucket than normal?
I thought of that too, but didn't do anything different so I should have the same amount of yeast as usual. If I did transfer extra yeast, shouldn't it have compacted fairly well after 6 weeks?

Are those the little ones, where you add 5 or so to a bottle? I tried those and had floaters too. I have heard that the "other" brand (which I can't remember now) are bigger (you just use one per bottle) and dissolve better. But I haven't verified that.

Are those the little ones, where you add 5 or so to a bottle? I tried those and had floaters too. I have heard that the "other" brand (which I can't remember now) are bigger (you just use one per bottle) and dissolve better. But I haven't verified that.

The other brand is coopers, and yes, they work a lot better.

Have you used this yeast before? If not, you can't really compare it to previous brews where you used a different yeast.

Try rolling the bottles a little on a towel just enough to loosen the sediment in the bottles and get it back into suspension. Don't shake them, just roll them. After that, let them set for another week or two. This should help get rid of the flakes.

I use the coopers. I'm always trying to streamline my process and are very easy. Just drop one in a 12oz bottle and two in a 22oz bottle. Never had a bottle that seemed to have too much or too little.

Back