Do i need trub to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
After seeing something go into my carboy I thought suspicious I decided to to re-rack my wort into another carboy. Being that it was in the fridge chilling down it dropped out all the break material, I tranfered without sucking any of this up. I pitched a slurry from the bottom of a finished lower gravity beer and haven't seen any activity for 36 hours now. I've done this before and had action in three hours. Any thoughts?

Did you let the wort warm up after you took it out of the fridge before you pitched the yeast?

To answer the question in your title, no., yeast don't need break material (I assume this is what you mean by 'trub').

WVbrewer said:
Is this an ale or lager?

Ale, IPA. Slurry was S05, pitched about a pints worth. OG of current brew was 1.074. Wort temp was around 68/70 when pitched. Yeast was chilled for a couple hours in fridge just to float off old beer. Gonna pick up some S05 after work, maybe fresh yeast will wake it up. How long does wort need to sit idle before it becomes of concern? Like not useable because it's not being chilled/frozen?

perhaps you shocked the yeast if it went from fridge to 68 degree wort. I wouldn't start to panic just yet, it will recover. And to echo Jlem, you don't need break material.

Thanks guys, it started going. I pitched a fresh pack of S05 just in case the slurry wasn't up to the challenge.

After seeing something go into my carboy I thought suspicious ?

Out of your brew kettle? What did you think coming out of you boil into your fermenter might be bad, that would make the wort ok if it did not transfer.

Ramitt said:
Out of your brew kettle? What did you think coming out of you boil into your fermenter might be bad, that would make the wort ok if it did not transfer.

Im not sure, was kinda a reaction that I better look into it. I found it and still don't know what it was. Kinda looked like a burnt corn flake but thicker. I'll drink it, I've dumped a batch before that I didn't need to. Except this time it was an all grain brew day in 90+ heat, wasn't just gonna dump without investigating.

Back