Do I need to refrigerate after opening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjiEDF

Reaction score
It's difficult to search for target questions like this sorry.

If I have a batch that I proclaim "done" on 7/1 and I open it up (1 gallon carboy) and pour a glass do I need to refrigerate the leftovers after? I'm just wondering if it doesn't taste quite right yet, can I let it age more?

I don't know much about headspace and oxygen exposure. I'm referring to still cider btw no carbonation.

Bottle it. This will allow you to enjoy all of it, without worrying about oxidizing the rest.

I dropped Enology before we got into this detail, so please forgive me if I take the 50,000 ft overview.

Once you have fermented cider, any oxygen molecules that get introduced to the mix tends to cause oxidation, changing the organic chemicals from what they are to something new.
In red wines this is a standard practice(i.e. decanting, and letting it breath before drinking). In Whites and ciders, there tends to be to much oxidation(and less body, so less organic chemicals in general) and the oxidation tends to cause off flavors instead of rich flavors(also I think it has to do with the amount of anti oxidants found in reds vs whites.). Thus every time you open up your jug, poor a glass your introducing alot of oxygen(and mixing it) and by the 2nd or third pour, your cider will taste 'off'. If your looking for convince, you could try wine bottles instead of beer bottles, but it really depends on how fast you will be drinking it.

Ok so the oxidation is more about preventing off flavors than sanity and health safety (primarily what I was worried about). Thanks.

I'm going to get some 1L swing top bottles soon I think that will help.

Latest posts

Back