Do I need to make any changes with this water report?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
I finally got around to testing the water at our house, both the tap water and the RO system. My wife says the water tastes bad, so I installed a 14 gallon ro system with a pump that way I would have ro water on hand for brewing. I normally just get the filtered water from walmart in the 5 gallon jugs for all my brewing. I would rather use the tap water/ro water and not have to mess with the jugs anymore. Here is the water report for the ro and tap water.

ROWATER_zpsd0d41abc.png

TAPWATER_zps71f8eeed.png

Is that decent water? I set up my numbers in the ez calculator for an ipa I plan on brewing tomorrow and this is what it came up with.

ezcalcwateripa_zps86fff434.png

My first question is, do I need to upload a profile for my ro water? I tried adding ro water in under the volume tab, but it did not have much of a change on the ph.

Second, I have some acid malt on hand from a berlinner I made last fall. Should I add a little to lower the ph, or just call it good?

I dont have a ph meter yet, so I realize I am getting a little ahead of myself on all of this. Have to save up a little considering how expensive those dang ro systems are. Also, if anyone is looking for an ro system, I purcahsed an apec system and have been very happy with it. Only problem was hiding the giant tank I ordered.

Thanks
Alex

The RO water is damned good. I don't know EZ and can't really tell much from the screen shot. Brewer's Friend lets you use two sources so you can blend the waters. It looks like it says the estimated pH is 5.7? That's a little high so add some acid to the mash in whatever form you choose.

Yes, the estimated ph is 5.7. Adding 5 ounces of acid malt drops it to 5.46. I have just under 12 gallons of ro in my tank, so I can do the entire batch in ro, but if it is not necessary I would rather not waste the water.

Ill try brewers friend and see how that compares.

The tap water looks pretty good to me. If its quality is consistent, I certainly would brew with it. It will require some acid to neutralize the alkalinity for most brewing.

Yes, the estimated ph is 5.7. Adding 5 ounces of acid malt drops it to 5.46. I have just under 12 gallons of ro in my tank, so I can do the entire batch in ro, but if it is not necessary I would rather not waste the water.

Ill try brewers friend and see how that compares.
I don't know which of the tools allow you to blend water but that is an option you have available to you so you may as well use it. If you are just starting you want to keep it simple. Your first goal is a suitable mash pH. Second you can use one of the available water profiles based on what you are brewing. I like malty beers for the most part so I get the chloride close to 100 and then add some gypsum for more calcium. My last brew is a 5 minute blonde ale. If I don't put it down and walk away it will be gone in 5 minutes or less.

Looked over the brun water, thats a great document. For now I want to keep it simple, ill probably just add some of the acid malt to the mash for tomorrow and call it good. Our water does have a little bit of an odor to it, so I will probably mix some ro water in. Just need to pick up a couple shifts at work so I can pick up a ph meter now.

Back