Do I need to add anything beside yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I mixed up a couple cans of Welch's grape juice extract and sprinkled in champagne yeast, because that's what I had. I have a couple questions.

-how long is it going to take to ferment?

-do I need to add anything else? Like sulfites, after the fermentation is complete? I have never made wine before and I don't expect great results from this experiment, but I was just wondering.

In short, yes, that's all you need. More concisely, no.

Your grape juice will ferment - it'll take about a week with champange yeast, maybe 2. It could probably do with a cup or so of sugar to make it stronger. Put a ballon with a pin hole on the top to allow gas to escape but no contaminates to get in.
After a couple of weeks, put it in a different (sterilised) container to move it away from the lees, and leave it for a couple more weeks.

And that is the very basics of wine making. :)
Feel free to correct me if I have missed anything.

Dicky.

I put in 8oz by weight of dextrose. I have it in a glass jug with an airlock. It's bubbling a lot, at least as much as my beer does. I didn't know if I had to add anything else because I know wine kits come with some kind of sulfites and bentonite stuff.

I have a Welch's recipe posted- it has things like acid blend. It's not necessary at all, it's just for flavor. Things like acid blend, tannin, etc, can make some nice flavor adjustments. But you don't need sorbate or campden unless you want to sweeten the wine before bottling.

So, my wine has been in the jug for several weeks and the airlock has stopped bubbling. How long do I need to let this stuff 'age' or finish before I bottle it? I know nothing about wine. Should I put it in a secondary container or something?

So, my wine has been in the jug for several weeks and the airlock has stopped bubbling. How long do I need to let this stuff 'age' or finish before I bottle it? I know nothing about wine. Should I put it in a secondary container or something?

Yes, it should be racked off of the lees (sediment) and topped up to near the bung on a carboy to protect it from oxygen. Once it's clear, and been at the same gravity reading for a week or so (and a reasonable FG), and no longer dropping fresh lees after 60 days, it can be bottled.

Bummer; I don't have another container, or any container that the wine will fit up into the neck. I do have a 3L wine-box; maybe I should just rack it into a wine-box bladder and let it sit in that for a while.

Rack into several smaller containers then clean the container that you are using and rack it back into the original container.

buy bigger bottles..very necessary! 2 liter pop bottles if poor. get the big gallon jugs of juice (orange, apple cider, etc - good juice and good bottles)

Back