Do I need secondary fermentation for a California Common lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nkliph

Reaction score
I've just started fermentation of a Cali Common in a swamp cooler. I'm fermenting at about 60°. Some recipes call for racking to secondary then layering at 50° for a few weeks.

The question is, do I need to rack to secondary, or can I lager at 50° in the primary without losing potential quality?

I've just started fermentation of a Cali Common in a swamp cooler. I'm fermenting at about 60°. Some recipes call for racking to secondary then layering at 50° for a few weeks.

The question is, do I need to rack to secondary, or can I lager at 50° in the primary without losing potential quality?

You don't "need" to, but I really like getting the beer off of the yeast cake before lagering. I typically will lager at 34 degrees (just above freezing), though. I will lager in a carboy or a keg, depending on how much room I have in the fridge at that temperature.

You can lager in the bottle, after it carbs up, if you want to. There are definitely different ways to go about this.

Back