Do I need Prague powder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatnhappy

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making bacon. I got a 3.75lb piece of pork belly. Put it in a zip lock with 1/4c maple syrup, 4.5tsp kosher salt, 4.5tsp black pepper, 1/3c water. Been in the fridge 5 days. I'm reading conflicting reports on if I need to use the Prague powder. Some say it could have botulism if I dont. Any help would be great

The short answer is yes, you do - or some other form of cure. I prefer TenderQuick, but since you've already added salt, then that option is out.

For the future, you might consider maple sugar, rather than syrup; I recommend a dry cure, cold smoke and extended dry-aging, for superior results!

Black%20Forest%20Maple%20Bacon%20-%2014.jpg

Last edited:
I was gonna mention TenderQuick, but TW beat me to it. (use it in place of salt, and it already has the nitrite added.) There is no botulism risk while the meat in your refrigerator below 38°F. The botulism risk comes later, in the smoker.

I don't know how long you're planning to cure it; bacon cures are usually pretty short. I would mix the recommended amount of Prague #1 -- I'm not sure how much that is but it's not much -- with the brine that's in the bag and let it finish. Use Prague #2 if you can't find #1. I've also seen pink salt with no number at the Chinese market; I think it just said "Nitrite".

The main thing is that whatever cure you use, be sure to use the amount of cure per pound of meat as directed on the exact package of cure you are using.

There are a lot of different cures out there, proprietary and otherwise - all of them are unique, and any of them could have a ratio different from another brand. For this reason, follow the instructions as listed on the one you are using.

Yes, as mentioned above, any meat that is slow cured or smoked long periods with low heat will need a curing salt/additive. Prague #1 is used for meats that are cured/smoked but will be cooked after curing...ie bacon. Prague #2 is used for meats that are air dried and will not be cooked after curing like salami. The chemical formulation is similar but #2 includes nitrites and nitrates if I remember correctly.

I do wild game sausage links that are cold smoked and cured overnight at very low temps. The Prague powder inhibits bacterial growth that could be extremely dangerous if not used in the proper proportions.

However, you say your pork belly is under refrigeration, and while this may be a game changer using Prague Powder, I am not sure. If you plan to slow smoke the bacon, that's where you run into trouble. I know you can buy "uncured" wieners that are not highly processed, but I think they are not smoked either.

Thanks everyone. I couldn't find any at my bass pro or at the butcher where I got the belly. Ordered some on Amazon. Will leav r it in the fridge and add the Prague when it comes in and leave it according to directions. I'll smoke it then. If it looks and smells ok, then I'll cook some up. Otherwise, I'll just toss it and chalk it up to learning

That's a very typical and normal cooking temperature for what I call low 'n slow. I put 10# butts and 15# briskets on at this temp with no curing salts so I don't think you need Prague in this instance.

Thanks everyone. I couldn't find any at my bass pro or at the butcher where I got the belly. Ordered some on Amazon. Will leav r it in the fridge and add the Prague when it comes in and leave it according to directions. I'll smoke it then. If it looks and smells ok, then I'll cook some up. Otherwise, I'll just toss it and chalk it up to learning

I have a feeling it should be fine - just use the correct amount and cure it for the recommended amount of time...maybe a couple of days longer "just to be sure." :mug:

I have been very happy with stuff I've bought from butcher-packer. I really like their lacto cultures for sausage. But I haven't ordered from them in about 5 years. (I wonder if the open pack of sausage culture in my deep freezer is still good?)

In a pinch You could add celery juice at 1/8- 1/4 cup per lb of belly. Celery contains a natural nitrate.

If you plan to eat it quickly you can bypass nitrate or nitrite in my opinion. If it’s a big batch and you plan to store it then you should be prudent and cure it properly

Back