Do I need new yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
So I started a starter..... last week or two ago. I was planning to make an IPA and had what I thought was everything I needed. Turns out its been a while and when I went to my brew room to check on the starter, WHITE STUFF!!?? I'm concerned to say the least. So there are white chunks floating around my flask. I really don't want to buy more yeast plus my brew store doesn't open till 11:00. I don't know how to post pictures (or if I can, I don't have an upgraded membership). Some of these flakes almost look like white chocolate shavings. What do you guys think? Thanks a lot for all the help that everyone on this forum has been giving me over the past few weeks.

Its kinda hard to tell without a pic, sometimes very small bubbles will look like an infection but if it looks like white chocolate shavings thats a new one on me. does it stink? How old is it...What yeast is it? Did you boil your flask prior to using it?

well to start the the yeast is White labs English Ale yeast, WLP002. I cleaned my 1.5L flask and then sanitized it with iodophore. The contents do not smell bad, not in my opinion at least. But their are large white chunks, also looks like a thin cloudy layer on top of the liquid. Most definitely not air bubbles. Can anyone give me advice on how to post pics? That would be the easiest way to show what I mean.

That yeast is is known for clumping like that. If you go to white labs page and look under FAQ you'll see several have asked the same question as you. Clumping looks normal for this strain, I have only used it once on my english barley wine, I did notice clumps on my yeast cake but nothing on top though. I have not posted any pics yet or upgraded my membership so I cant help you there. But try to send a private message and attach it to the email it may work not sure, I will check it out for ya.

RDWHAHB.

I would say that there is a 90% chance it is fine. Yeast is white, and sometimes it clumps and turns into white clumps. If it doesnt stink, I would bet that you are ready to rock.

While we are on the subject though, why did you make a starter two weeks in advance? I usually go for like two days, if even that.

If you create an account with a picture sharing service like photobucket then you can uplaod there and they will give you a link to insert here that will display your picture.

yeah the starter smells perfectly fine, I think maybe I'll just pitch the stuff on top and throw a bit of hot water with dme tonight. I need to get the brew going because I've have the crushed (cracked open?) grain for 2 weeks! I really fell behind on this, that long of a starter was not my intentions and if I don't get this rolling soon I sense disaster.

sorry to bring this back up guys, just figured out how to post pics (I think) so hopefully this works and you guys can tell me what you think.
DSCF0379.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF0378.jpg

Latest posts

Back