Do I need an airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johow

Reaction score
I have a 7cf chest freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber. Currently I have a 6 gallon carboy of beer in there and a 3 gallon carboy of wine. If I move the wine to the top of the condenser hump I can fit another batch of beer in there but the wine won't fit with the airlock installed. Could I safely replace the airlock with some tinfoil and maybe a rubber band? The wine has completed it's initial fermentation and has been racked to a secondary where it still has a couple of months to sit. Outside of the chamber the temp swings from a low of about 60 degrees to a high of around 70degrees during a 24 hour period. Inside the chamber the temp is a controlled 68 degrees. I'd really like to start another batch of beer.....
Thanks

I was thinking of doing this as well. I think as long as you have something covering up the hole thy allows co2 to escape you should be fine.

Back