Do I need a kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrobot

Reaction score
I'm considering switching to kegging with my next batch, but while I think I can get the kegging equipment approved by SWMBO I'm not so sure about a kegerator (space and power requirements). Is it necessary to have a kegerator/keezer when kegging, or could I get away with a jockey box setup?

Being an apartment brewer I do tend towards 2.5 to 3 gallon batches so I may be able to use a tiny dorm fridge (2 cu. ft.) with 3 gallon soda kegs. Has anyone set up a mini kegerator like this?

The amount of ice required for your jockey box would soon cost more than a new kegerator.

You can certainly make a tiny kegerator and it will work fine, except for the fact that you might wish you had more beer!

eventully you will wish you had just built the kegerator and then you will have to spend more money to upgrade IMO do it right the first time larger initial investment but over time you will be better off

Sounds like the kegerator is the way to go. As I suspected. Has anyone tried using a 1.7cf mini fridge for 3 gallon kegs? I searched around but couldn't find much.

It would be far cheaper to just go with standard 5 gal kegs. The 3 gallon ones cost at least 2 times as much as the 3 gallons.

eventully you will wish you had just built the kegerator and then you will have to spend more money to upgrade IMO do it right the first time larger initial investment but over time you will be better off

+1

But getting it past SWMBO might be more of an issue. But when I make brewing decisions (hundreds of dollars in a purchase) I try to think way down the line.

In retrospect, my kegerator was great for the past few years, but now I want 4-5 taps, I want a damn keezer! Plus, I saved the money going kegging straight away instead of spending money on bottles and bottling equipment.

Its always rough going from 'I wont use this again' to 'shiny new thing'

Sounds like the kegerator is the way to go. As I suspected. Has anyone tried using a 1.7cf mini fridge for 3 gallon kegs? I searched around but couldn't find much.

I took a look @ the 1.7cf mini fridge option as well before I bought the full fridge. The compressor step up in the back of the mini (on most models) will not allow my 2.5 gallon mini to fit and close the door. Might be possible with some extensive door mods.

mini fridge is not worth it. get a 4.4cu ft. its not that much bigger. just taller.
to convince your SWMBO for keggrator will be

saves you space, since you have no bottles
batch of bottles you are currently drinking
batch of bottles you are conditioning
all the empty bottles you need for your next batch.

compare that to 2 corny which most of the time it will be inside your keggrator.

my SWMBO loves not have to deal with all those bottles i had. also my actual food fridge is empty....

Just build a 2 tapper out of a 4-6 cuft mini fridge. It's not really that large, will hold a good amount of beer, and look pretty nice. (disclaimer: 10g is plenty for me - some people might want more taps than that even but I simply don't drink enough to justify it - in fact I have a chest freezer not in use and temp controller I could have a 10 tapper if I wanted but I can't consume near that much)

I like how my 4912 looks with the (fake) stainless door, chrome tower, perlicks, and nice drip trays... It looks classy, I used all good parts when I built it, and it still didn't cost me THAT much. I think I had about $500 into it to buy the fridge from best buy and the kegging setup for kegconnection.com (with good stuff - dual regs, good line, good perlicks, trays, etc). I haven't had to put another dime into it other than some tap handles I bought and I put my logo/beer on them...

I'd pass on the 3g keg idea b/c as noted above one 3g keg can run $100-120 - i think maybe I saw them for as low as $80 before, but that is still expensive. You can buy like 4 5g cornies for $80 sometimes, and definitely can by 4 for $100.

Back