Do I need a 2nd pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovesMeSomeBeer

Reaction score
4 days ago I made my second batch ever. It's a trappist ale kit from Midwest.
The recipe is:
6 lb. Pilsen liquid malt extract
1 lb. Clear Belgian candi sugar
8 oz. Caramel 40°L
8 oz. Carapils specialty grains
3 oz. of hops

I upgraded to the WL500 yeast. I brewed this on the spur of the moment, finding myself with a few hours of free time that I didn't expect. Thusly, no starter was made -- I simply pitched the vial of WL500 into the wort.

So far so good. Bubbling started about 48 hours in and has been going good since and is still going good.

But, I read here on HBT something about a Mr Malty Pitching calculator so I went to give it a try. It says I need 183 billion cells or 1.9 vials (I don't remember how many cells the vial said it had) to pitch without a starter.

So the question is ... to get full utilization of all the fermentables, should I pitch more yeast? The kit came with a pack of SafBrew T-58 yeast which I have stored in the fridge.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

no, just let it go. your yeast will multiply itself into what it needs to get the job done. the purpose for pitching a larger quantity of yeast is to get it going sooner to prevent infection. dont worry about it and let it go. if its fermenting, its fine.

At this point (4 days in) you have far more than 183 billion cells in the beer, so pitching another package or vial now will have little impact on the total yeast population. That's why re-pitching rarely works. Let it go for at least 2 weeks total for your best chance, after all it's only 4 days in and really too soon to worry.

Pitching the correct amount of yeast from the start is way more important than simply a faster start to fermentation - it can and will affect your total attenuation, especially on beers over 1.050. It will also help overcome the effects of other possible deficiencies (like poor aeration) and gives your beer the best chance of success. Most of the stuck fermentation posts I see involve the use of liquid yeast with no starter.

Back