Do I HAVE to use Oxyclean? If so, which kind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
I've read a few posts that state that Oxyclean can leave a nearly invisible ring on carboys and bottling buckets and it may adversely affect the beer (head retention, carbonation, etc). Can anyone confirm this?

I'm getting ready to start my second batch. Immediately after my first batch, I scrubbed out my carboys with my carboy brush and I just used hot water. Visibly, it looks very clean and I do not see any remnants of caked on yeast or any other gunk. Can I just sanitize with StarSan and be done with it? Or should I put some cleaner to work first?

If I do buy Oxyclean, can I get just the regular store-bought stuff, or do I have to get something specific? Is the store-brand Oxyclean unscented?

Honestly, I just clear the stuff out with hot water, then scrub vigorously with the carboy brush. I continually dump the water, then add new water in. I go through this cycle a couple time with really hot water(maxed water heater) until I can't see anything in it. Then I add warm water and Iodophor and splash around and let it sit for a while, shaking it every one and a while.

I haven't had any issues.

I would probably try oxyclean if I come accross it.

I've used both Oxiclean and Oxiclean free and don't see a difference. They both work well with cold water.

most people will say to use to use oxyclean versatile free, but after a bit of searching i've seen you can get away with using the regular oxyclean versatile. it's what i've been using and everything has turned out just fine, and it seems to leave no scent in anything i've cleaned. i'd recommend following everything up with a starsan (or something similar) soak to make sure you get no residue/scale from the oxyclean.

for the most part, i just do most of my cleaning with hot water and a dip in starsan.

if its glass, regular oxyclean is fine since it won't have its fragrance absorbed by the glass.

for plastic, stick to Oxyclean Free (no perfumes).

i find I barely need to scrub at all if i soak with some oxyclean for 30 minutes. and a hot rinse after.

Back