Do I have room in this breaker box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borealis

Reaction score
Unfortunately I only have 100 amp service at my house, but would like to brew in my basement with a 3500w induction burner that needs 240v. Should I be able to use the two unused spots to install a double breaker?

breaker panel.jpg

Maybe. As long as your box is rated for 100A and your main is 100A and the wire in between is good for 100A you can have breakers that add up to whatever.

But I would have to see behind that cover. It appears that the top two on the left are your main (based on the lab). In which case I'm not sure you actually have open space for a 2-pole on the other side. That 2-pole MAIN might go across to the other side underneath.

I don't know the NY laws, but I would take a guess and say that you can't. Is there a 240v appliance down there you can unplug and use the outlet while brewing?

I think the first reply might be right. That is the main on the other side. So the main takes up that entire space?

Unfortunately I don't have a 240 in the basement because our laundry is on the first floor.

You could get some double up breakers and make some room in there most likely or an electrician could.

Back