Do I have enough yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomnoob

Reaction score
I'm making a Nugget Brown Ale today and I ended up with an OG of 1.074. (I took a sample right before I ended the boil and let it cool in the snow). I have a packet of S-04 and I'm wondering if one is enough. If not, I got a bunch of US-05 that I found on sale for $2 each and can pitch two packets.

Where they on sale because they are old? If so how old. 2 old packets may not be as good as one New packet.

That's what I ended up doing, duboman. I'm not sure why, but lately I've been getting between 80% and 92% efficiency when I brew. Usually with the dry yeast I don't worry about it and just pitch it. I'm just not sure what the highest gravity beer one packet of dry yeast can handle.

The higher the OG of the wort the more cells you need to get it fermented without off flavors from stressed yeast. The dry yeast packet contain enough cells to ferment out a beer up to an OG of 1.060 according to the manufacturers if you rehydrate and pitch without aerating the wort. However, if you aerate the wort, the yeast will use the oxygen to help create cell walls and reproduce in the wort to bring the number of cells up.

Back