Do I have a real problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewerone

Reaction score
My a/c went out on me last night. I'm 3 days into vigorous fermentation of a cherry and a blueberry wine. My home is up to 81F. It will be like that for at least another day. Things are still fermenting well, but will my yeast die on me. It has a tolerance of 80F.

Most yeast have a heat tolerance of well above 80, it is just that they do their best work below that temperature. I don't think you will have any problems but if you are worried about it you could set your fermenting bucking in the tub and fill it with cool water then periodically add some ice to keep the temps down.

Full disclosure I am a newbie, so may be completely full of it. Hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer

If it's a real problem make your own swamp cooler using frozen water bottles or do the wet towel trick.

Found this quote by Springer:

my set up . 15 gallon tub with ice and a wet towel . I can maintain mid 50's no matter the ambient temp.

swamp.JPG

Here is what I am dealing with. The fermentation is still doing extremely well. Only Another few hours and the a/c should be fixed. Thanks for the quick response.

image-3605300625.jpg

image-3103095651.jpg

image-2066692108.jpg

image-2517775269.jpg

image-1430270822.jpg

Brewerone said:
Here is what I am dealing with. The fermentation is still doing extremely well. Only Another few hours and the a/c should be fixed. Thanks for the quick response.

There is a picture of blueberry & cherry. 3 pics of strawberry wine.

Back