Do hops need to be removed when transferring to primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerberus9

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch of IPA that used a fair amount of whole-flower hops. I didn't filter out the hops when I poured the wort from the boil kettle to the primary (most of them are still in the primary). Was this good, bad, or does it make any difference?

I realize that addition junk in the batch could be problematic, as it could clog siphon hoses and things like that. Most of the literature I could find on the subject was divided: some said you should filter them some said it didn't matter.

I figured that leaving the hops in could give a bit of a dry hopping effect (even though I added the aromatics during the last minute of the boil).

Does anyone have any advice on this matter? Should hops always be removed before transferring to the primary?

Thanks in advance!

You shouldn't have any issues with the hops in the primary. Personally I strain out my hops by pouring my wort through a sanitized strainer when pouring it into the primary as it leads to clearer beer.

I was getting tired of not hitting the OG I was expecting because I was leaving too much wort behind in the boiling pot when I would siphon to the primary bucket from the pot (partial boils). I also didn't feel like pouring all the trub into the primary. My solution is a nice paint strainer I picked up at the local Sherwin Williams store. I went on looking for a strainer bag for doing stovetop partial mashing in, and found this nice hard sided strainer that fits across the standard 5 or 6.5 gallon plastic bucket. It caught all the pellet hop trub from my last batch. I think it was around $5. This one has an indentation in one side that helped me in 2 ways. First, it made it easy to turn sideways and fit down in the bottling bucket I had my sanitizing solution in, so I could easily clean and sanitize this strainer. Secondly, you can see underneath the strainer while you pour your wort and get an idea of the flow rate. I saw when the trub was clogging up the screen, and I was easily able to scrape up excess trub off the screen with the sanitized stirring spoon I had.

P1030111.jpg

P1030113.jpg

P1030112.jpg

I pour it all in. That is the way I was taught. The LHBS had a beer making class that I attended when I first started and I have been doing it that way ever since. After a week it all settles out to a thick layer of trub, and then I secondary most of the time. This was also the same class that taught to pitch over ice to cool the wart.....

Back