Do hops float after boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjdezz

Reaction score
Hello! I'm doing my first all grain brew next weekend so hopefully all will go well but I have a question. I'm using a keggel with a side mounted tap which results in approx 1 gallon of dead space at the bottom. I don't want to use a grain bag and was hoping that the spent hops would settle into this dead space allowing me to drain the wort off without blocking my tap with hops. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
:mug:

Hello! I'm doing my first all grain brew next weekend so hopefully all will go well but I have a question. I'm using a keggel with a side mounted tap which results in approx 1 gallon of dead space at the bottom. I don't want to use a grain bag and was hoping that the spent hops would settle into this dead space allowing me to drain the wort off without blocking my tap with hops. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
:mug:
If you are using whole hops, your tap will plug up, you may get away with it using pellets, check out the diy section on the hop strainer (5 gallon paint strainer and 4 inch pvc, threaded rod build) works like a charm, good luck on your first AG:mug: And no, the hops wont float after boiling.

I use whole hops and a false bottom. The hops resting on the false bottom make a wonderful filter.
I once forgot to put the false bottom in the kettle before adding the hops, and as jagg said, the hops plugged the spigot.

-a.

Back