Do homebrewers smoke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you smoke?

• Yes

• No

• Only when I drink

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.
I smoke too much and I'm sure it has an effect on my abilities to smell and taste subtle aromas and flavors in beer. That may be why I tend to drink hoppy ales.

Beach

I live a pretty healthy lifestyle- whole foods, nothing fried, plenty of exercise, etc. Beer is my junk food.

I hate smoking. Hate it. I won't go to bars anymore because of the smoke. Which is fine, because now I get better beer at home anyway!

Havent smoked in years and I never plan to again. I am so glad smoking is no longer allowed in bars in PA.

Ex smoker here. Been tobacco sober for about a year and a half now. Beer has never tasted better than now, I tend to drink a little faster now that I don't smoke though...

No smoking here... I had one cig when I was about 17 and puked all over my shoes, that was enough for me.

Quit almost 5 years ago. Have a cigar maybe once a year. Really can't stand cigarrette smoke now. Even hate being behind anohter car when someone is smoking in it. I feel terrible for all of the times I made someone uncomfortable as a smoker. When I have my yearly cigar I do it in the back yard as far away from my house and anyone elses house I can get.

Nope.. never have and never will..
My parents smoke like freight-trains and i couldn't stand it growing up.
Oh, and asthma is keeping me from it too :)

And it wouldn't suprise me if your asthma isn't from your parents smoking like freight trains when you were growing up....

And it wouldn't suprise me if your asthma isn't from your parents smoking like freight trains when you were growing up....

I know, and i always blamed 'em for it growing up.. i made peace with it now, and just deal with it. Yep, unfiltered Camel's, 2 packs a day a piece. They're 70, still smoking just the same way, and i end up with the ****-end of the deal :(
Still love 'em though

Originally Posted by Zul'jin View Post
and i dont drink my homebrew green not alot just some to taste test. you gotta do that yall know cause youre in the hobby. If i was a alcholic i would be drinking it right out the ferenter like a walrus with a bucket..

LOL, I bottled it and waited three days at least. :p

Know what you mean! My parents smoked heavily too. I began when I was 16 and smoked 'till 24 before I quit, but because of a traumatizing experience this year I began again. Began again 12 years after I quit.

I remember as a child on vacation. They smoked in the car, and I complained about it. All they did were open the window.

36 years ago. One of my best moves, ever.

I recently watched someone pay $6 for a pack! That's an expensive addiction.

LOL, in Norway a pack costs $13, and they want to make it more expensive in 2010. If I could get a pack for $6 I would smoke non-stop. :p

I used to, and I am still working on it. I hate cigarettes.

Nicotine helps fighting a bad mood, why I don't hate them. Using snus now. Have to smoke for an hour compared to snusing for five minutes, but I miss the cigarettes. Time for a walk I think. :)

Nicotine helps fighting a bad mood, why I don't hate them. Using snus now. Have to smoke for an hour compared to snusing for five minutes, but I miss the cigarettes. Time for a walk I think. :)

Yeah. I have been Snusing for a while now. It's good, but soon it's time will come too. I just need to get off being the Nicotine b!tch.

Not smoking will be easier for me now tho'. I have always had a weakness for Kretek (Clove) and thanks to Obama outlawing them the need to resist temptation is taken care of.

I smoke about 5-10 cigars a week. Used to smoke cigs for about 10 yrs. I use it as MY time, and to relax!

I understand the trouble the older generations having with quitting due to the lack of knowledge about it all when they started, but I cannot for the life of me understand people who have taken up smoking in the last 20-30 years. It just doesn't make any sense to me to start something that you KNOW will kill you.

Yeah. I have been Snusing for a while now. It's good, but soon it's time will come too. I just need to get off being the Nicotine b!tch.

Not smoking will be easier for me now tho'. I have always had a weakness for Kretek (Clove) and thanks to Obama outlawing them the need to resist temptation is taken care of.

Hookah with my girlfriend ocassionally. cloves every once in a while. the obama thing is kinda dumb. ban all flavors except menthol which is the most popular and comparatively the cheapest? bah. you can still get them imported (legally - personal consumption only) but thats too much effort. i do it for the smoke rings! hookah's great for that...and next to no tar.

I understand the trouble the older generations having with quitting due to the lack of knowledge about it all when they started, but I cannot for the life of me understand people who have taken up smoking in the last 20-30 years. It just doesn't make any sense to me to start something that you KNOW will kill you.

Hows the whole drinking thing sit with your liver? ;)

I know, anything in moderation.

People always seek pleasure, even though it will kill you. Same with alcohol, too much can kill you, but the pleasure right now makes one drink.

Know what you mean! My parents smoked heavily too. I began when I was 16 and smoked 'till 24 before I quit, but because of a traumatizing experience this year I began again. Began again 12 years after I quit.

I remember as a child on vacation. They smoked in the car, and I complained about it. All they did were open the window.

Once a smoker always a smoker. I could start back in a heart beat. The only things I can do is keep reminding myself how much I hate it and don't socialize with people who smoke. The latter being the most difficult. I pretty much had to stop hanging out with my old friends. But "old friends" aren't always the best influences.

Smoke an e-cig (with my homebrewed nicotine-free e-liquid; I just do it for taste. Smoke candy!), have a pipe collection (though I haven't smoked my pipe in quite some time), and I'll have a cigar on occasion.

My dad smoked for about 53 years. Finally quit after 3 strokes. Still refuses to believe that smoking is bad. Claims that smoking helps lower his blood pressure and that quitting caused him to have his second smoke.

I thought I would save money by quitting the tobacco, then I discovered brewing. At least I have something tangible to show for the money besides brown crap coughed up in the shower.

I smoked for 12 years, quit a couple times then just "stopped smoking". Haven't had a cigarette in a year and a half. Sure, there are times that I'll follow a smoker for a block or sit next to a smoker just for the second hand smoke. There are times I'll be tempted to bum a smoke. I have to remind myself that if I have that cigarette I'll go right back to my pack a day habit.

Bars in Oregon are smoke free now. Sure is weird being in certain types of bar without a smokescreen...

Back